Trusted Contributor

Too Much Going On - Feeling Stressed

Husband had a biopsy a few days ago - waiting for results,  men came today to fix a broken fence post, father-in-law is turning 90 - need to plan a small get-to-together, (purchased a few small gifts already), printer I use at home for work broke on Friday - worried about getting IT department to help me set it up a new one that should be delivered tomorrow,  men coming this week to powerwash and seal paver patio, dog having dental surgery and a few growths removed in a couple of weeks, girl I work with has been on disability for about 10 weeks - I'm doing her job and mine, still need to purchase and plant flowers in gardens, home insurance bill went up a lot - need to contact broker to see if they can find a better price, need to make appointment with eye doctor for husband's glaucoma check and I need to get new glasses, etc. etc.  Also, today is the anniversary of my mom's passing - 19 years ago.   

Hubby is helping, but still there just is too much going on.  No wonder I feel stressed and nervous today!   Took the dog for a walk during my break for lunch - felt good - tried not to think much about all of the above and just enjoy the beautiful spring flowers!

Think mom is keeping an eye on me - often near the anniversary of her death I have "electrical" type issues.  My notebook would not start yesterday (it got turned off) I did not turn it off, and neither did my husband turn it off,  the printer broke, and yesterday my phone kept saying 58% charged - it was charging for hours.  I then had to turn it off and turn it back on and it was then 100% charged.  Ok mom, I've got your message that you're close by - no more electrical issues please!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Too Much Going On - Feeling Stressed

@BunSnoop,

I hear you!

and you are not alone.

And I am tired of being an adult!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop   OH YES...   been there.   I'm taking deep breaths now just reading your list.   You really need to put a list together of all the things TO DO,  and prioritize.  When you have some free time you can try to squeeze in one of the less important things. 

You do have a lot,  but if you just tackle portions and look at it that way,  it may be less stressful.  As you cross things off your list,  you'll be able to breath better, and eventually most of the list will be behind you.

Wishing you some calmness.   I hope all goes well with your husband's test.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can relate. In the past month we've had an upstairs toilet leak which required a biohazard cleanup crew to come and replace the tile in the bathroom, remove the popcorn ceiling in the garage retexture it and paint. We then had the other two bathrooms tile removed and replaced just because. Then next week the painters will start to paint the outside and the following week the painters will do the inside. I'm definitely a candidate for the Southwest Airlines commercial of wanting to get away. 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay 

Ah, but, instead of being an adult, would you rather begin again at a young age in this problematic world?  DH & I are grateful we're at this point.  While it doesn't seem so at times, just remember there's some positiveness for us now.  

I do see your point as well & respect it.  I wish you nice pleasant days going forward.  

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop 

Sending you "feel good" days & comfort hugs.  Some of us handle stress better than others.  I think most of us have our ups/downs depending on many things.  I hope you can kick the stress out the door to give you some peace.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

@sceniccoast,

I should have said, I never wanted to do all the things "adults" seem to have to do! I remember when I was little I specifically said several times I never wanted to do adult things. All the complicated stupid things we need to do every day or so, like get or now order groceries hopefully the computer or phone works, etc.mail letters, pay bills, buy things.

I often think I'm going to go off into the forest in a tent lol!

I am very grateful I don't own a house anymore! I like apartments and not all that responsibility!

I just always determined I am going to be as least "busy" as possible and not schedule a thousand things so I can be there and do the things I want to do for me and my family.

So I like that but I agree that there are many stressful things nowadays and we all handle it differently, and I'm finding too there are days it is all just too much!

Quarantining again from some children because one has covd  etc etc.

So, I'll watch my possum come out tonight and enjoy seeing her til she waddles down into the forest. And hey I may follow her!😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop 

I truly believe it is your mom sending you little messages with the " electrical " blips.  I hope you talk to her when these little love notes come your way.

Even years after my aunt's passing, there have been times when I am awestruck by how she communicates with me and my heart.  They aren't often, but they sure come at very difficult times.  The bond hasn't been broken and for that I am grateful.

All the things you mentioned that are on your calendar will come regardless of how you stress yourself out.  So, decide now what reward you will give yourself when each item presents itself.  Reward yourself and DH too !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Hugs to you, this too shall pass.  Maybe a shift in perspective would help.  Imagine if these things happened one at a time, one after the other.  It would feel like nothing will ever go right again.  By having everything happen at the same time, you shorten the period of misery.

I find that if I get overwhelmed I start (or maintain) a to-do list.  It can be very satisfying to cross things off that list.  Or, just the act of getting them out of your head and onto paper will help. 

It's nice to think of your mom, we all want our moms when things get tough!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop    If it's any consolation, I just came from ordering new glasses.  I selected new frames, she did the measurements and fixed my old glasses which got stepped on.....I was in and out of there in 22 minutes.

The rest of your list sounds very managable.  Just take it one step at a time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment