Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tomorrow (September 17, 2018) I have been married for 52 years

@Annabellethecat66 So sorry for your loss.  Giving up the life you planned seems impossible to me.  I have trouble wrapping my head around the reality of what is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, your wedding sounds amazing and I am sorry that he is not here to celebrate with you.  I hope that you have had a wonderful day with wonderful memories.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Snoopp I understand what you are saying.  I don't think anything I could say to you would matter.

I will say it is up to each of us to decide which direction we want to go.  

Those of us who have children have an easier time because our children pick us up when we fall.  

There were (and still are) times when I get upset.  I often call my youngest daughter and she 'picks me up' just by talking to me and making me understand how much I'm loved and how many people depend on me for love and support.

Life isn't easy.  We all feel defeated at times.  Us widows all have times when we wonder....'why us?  why did this happen to me?  

Those are the times when we all have to realize there are things to be grateful for.  Sometimes it's easier than others, but there are always things to be grateful for.

Here's a repeat for instance for me.  My husband died in my arms.  OK, that's devastating.  But....I was there with him...I was given the 'gift' of knowing he wasn't in pain, he didn't cry out for me, I was able to put my air into his body (cpr), I was able to hold him, touch his lips while he was still warm.  

They revived him a few times (but he'd already died).  If he'd stayed alive he'd have been hooked up to wires and I'd have had to 'pull the plug' (I didn't have to do that).  There are more things but you get the picture.

I worked for the government.  Back in the 60's when I worked they didn't take out social security.  When I quit 7 years later, we used the money to put down on a house (it was just a few thousand dollars).  Had my husband not been so smart and successful, I wouldn't have any kind of income at all.  But he was and I just live off of the interest (another upside).

Are you beginning to see what I mean?  We all have things to be grateful for.  If necessary, take out a pen and paper.  Write down some of the things to be grateful for.  Maybe the people in your life, things like that.

When you get the boo hoos (we all do).  Get that paper out and read it.  Then talk to GOD about how you feel.  Ask him to help you.  He will help you if you keep your heart open...honestly...

I didn't mean to be preachy, just telling you what helps me.

If more people would be open and talk about feelings, etc.  I think they and this world would be better.

I've found if you smile at someone they'll smile back.  Try it, it really work.

Finally, know that you are not alone.  Find a few really good friends (other than family).  People you can tell things to that will keep it to themselves.  Talk and talk and when you think you're finished ..... talk some more.  You'd be surprised at what talking does....

If you can't find friends, talk to your cat or dog.  It's perfect.  They don't judge you.

Have you ever heard the expression, "He/She just likes the sound of their own voice".  Well, there's nothing wrong with liking yourself.  It's impossible to ignore yourself talking.  You'd be surprised how it help you to work things out.

You might even surprise yourself.  You know like, "Wow!  I give pretty good advice".  Or "Wow!  That sounded like a good plan".  Just try it sometimes.....my guess is you're good company....

Honored Contributor

Vivian: My parent story is similar to your story. They had their 50th Wedding anniversary when Daddy was in the VA Hospital w/dementia. The nurses on his floor gave Mom a card that they said was from Daddy. I thought that was very kind.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man