Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Told Not To Bring a Gift, But I Am.....

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I think if I really wanted to avoid the drama of gifts or no gifts, I would just invite people and not tell them what it was for.  This way, there is no issue about gifts.

A friend of mine did that and it was perfect.  She had a birthday party for her husband, but no one knew it was really a birthday party.  She knew if she requested no gifts, people would bring gifts anyway.  Everyone came and had a great time.  No one felt bad for not bringing a gift, no one felt awkward about do I bring a gift or not...

@Bri369 

That works, too.

I have always said that if I were to get married, I would get hitched in Vegas, and I wouldn't tell anyone that that was why I was going to Vegas.

They would just think that I was just taking a vacation, which, I would be.

Then once home, I would invite people over for a barbecue, maybe even make it potluck.

Then, and only then, would I reveal that I had gotten married while on vaca, and surprise! This is the reception.

Lest I be accused of  a "gift grab".

I went to a wedding once, and none of us knew there would be a wedding.  The couple just invited close friends and family to a party at their home.  It was very exciting to find out why we were actually there, and everything was really lovely.

Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

I had decided to give a gift and was only asking what to write in the card.

I was not asking if it's wrong or right to give a gift. 

Thanks to those that answered my question. 

Oh but we love giving advice! I'd put "In appreciation of your generosity on your birthday, here's a little thank you for you to contribute to your favorite charity."

@AuntG   Uh...no.  Not only did you bring a gift that she asked you not to bring, you’re telling her what to do with it.

A gift should be given with no instructions as to how it is to be used.  I also think that giving directly to a charity in someone's name is much better and much more thoughtful than saying, "This should go to your favorite charity.  Here, you do it."

Honored Contributor

The best thing to put on the card would be "I don't care what you want, I'm giving you a gift beause I want to and that is more important" if I were going to a "no gift" party with a gift.   Love Jane Doe, your forever friend.