Esteemed Contributor

Re: Told Not To Bring a Gift, But I Am.....

@Nonametoday wrote:

"I know you said 'no gifts' but just in case you want to tip the wait staff, thought I'd help" and then make it a nice monetary gift.

@Nonametoday  Like she wouldn’t tip the wait staff without your “gift”?  😧

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Nonametoday
ken wrote:

"I know you said 'no gifts' but just in case you want to tip the wait staff, thought I'd help" and then make it a nice monetary gift.

@esmerelda I see you are keeping it rude for everyone.  Hope @Nonametoday  laughs it off.

Esteemed Contributor

When I receive an invite that says "No Gifts", I do not bring a gift nor do I feel guilty or awkward that some people do bring gifts anyway.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop 

I hear ya!....always a debate! 

My siblings and I gave my mom an 85th birthday party 5 years ago. The invitation said no gifts.(Your presence is your gift) Most everyone gave her a gift card or a check. To me it means a gift is not necessary but is always appreciated!Smiley Happy

As far as, what to write in the card, I don't think it's necessary to address the no gift request. Giving a gift to someone you care about is self explanatory! IMO🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC quoted removed, rude and unkind

Respected Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

Giving someone, especially an adult, $ or a check is in really bad taste (unless it's for a Nonprofit donation in someone's name!). I would send flowers to say "Thank You" for a wonderful evening! You should absolutely be sending a note anyway. 

Whose etiquette rule is this?

While I agree, I wouldn't want or need this for myself, especially at this age and stage of my life but I know many adults who need and would greatly appreciate getting money. I've  been to many adult parties where they received money and were very grateful to get it. Like everything, I guess it's  relative to where you come from and how you live. Not everyone can afford to be offended by receiving a helping hand.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

Interesting.. I just read all responses and only 2 people actually answered OP's question.  Read people!!

Happens every thread!

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@esmerelda    Anyone with social skills can read the underlying meaning.  Perhaps, you did not read that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

The only place I have ever read where people bring no gifts or a hostess gift to a party is on these forums. I have never been to any party where they say "no gifts" that there isn't a sea of presents including cards on a table at the door.

@BunSnoop...I wouldn't say anything about no gifts. I would wrap the gift or enclose a gift card with a card and sign it.

@Trinity11  Towards the end when we had a party for our Mom or Dad we always specified no gifts. This was in NJ.

Same here - also in NJ at the time. We had a large anniversary surprise party for my parents and specified (nicely) no gifts please.  They didn't need anything, didn't want anything, had been trying to downsize (like I read a lot here).  And we didn't want any guests to feel obligated to do anything other than come and have a good time.