Esteemed Contributor

Today is my granddaughter's birthday

Today was her 14th birthday and we couldn't be with her.  She lives almost 400 miles from us and we've always drove down to be with her.  I talked to her on the phone and started crying..wanted to be upbeat but failed. 

I know it's a small thing in the big picture but it hurts nonetheless.  That's the real cruelty of this,we can't be with loved ones. And we have no idea when or how it will end. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Re: Today is my granddaughter's birthday

@MoJoV 

Can you FaceTime with your precious granddaughter?

Honored Contributor

She's so young. I guess you could say this is her Pearl Harbor. So much uncertainty.

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV C82558E4-F786-4E2D-8EDA-5CCF47016291.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sending your precious granddaughter @MoJoV a great birthday filled with love and blessings 

Valued Contributor

So know how you feel..  Drove 20 miles just to drop a fun bag for grandkids and they weren't home.  I was so glad because I would just want to hug and play with them.  So glad you could talk to her.  We can't go to our grand daughter's wedding in AZ. in May.  She cried but understood.  Aren't we glad we have them!

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry. This is just getting harder by the day. 

I took my parents some frozen meat today, and wore a mask and gloves, to just put it in their freezer in their garage. Hollered so my elderly father could hear me, across the yard. Three ppl have been dxd with coronavirus where dh works. I'm a nervous wreck. 

We have to protect people or try to and I do think its good to stay home, but I miss hugging my parents. 

My sons birthday is in a few weeks and I won't be able to see him either.

When it is over, maybe you all can have a big belated birthday party for your granddaughter. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live only two miles from five of our granddaughters. We have seen them but only from a distance. How hard not to take the baby when she reaches for me!  Three are seniors and so far have had prom cancelled,  diplomas will be mailed, and one was supposed to dance in the cherry blossom parade in DC....also cancelled. Several plays, tennis tournaments, art exhibition shows, etc. All cancelled. Today the school district said they will be doing pass/ fail grading for the remainder of the year. This will be awful for two of the three since they have worked so hard to keep up their gpa....a “ pass” grade won’t help. Some scholarship money is on the table. The class of 2020 will always remember they ended high school with little fanfare in the midst of a pandemic. They are all looking forward to college and right now, not sure what that will look like by fall. We all know this will be over eventually, but this school year ends with things still unresolved. Thankfuly,l we are all safe, healthy, and staying home where we should be. I was sad to learn my kinder grand has a classmate who has the virus. She is only 6 years old. Caught it from a grandparent who traveled abroad in January. She also had an uncle, age 38, pass away last week from it. We all must be careful, no matter what our age!

Trusted Contributor

This is definitely a really hard time with being away from our loved ones. Especially the little grand kids who don't quite understand what is going on. I cry every time I think about my grand kids and how much I miss them. I know the stay at home is necessary and I do it for them, so I can be around. I pray this ends soon. 

Regular Contributor

My birthday was last weekend.  This was a milestone birthday.  I was not able to see my three children or my three, to be four next week, grandchildren.  Next year!!