Honored Contributor

Re: Today is my granddaughter's birthday

@MoJoV wrote:

Today was her 14th birthday and we couldn't be with her.  She lives almost 400 miles from us and we've always drove down to be with her.  I talked to her on the phone and started crying..wanted to be upbeat but failed. 

I know it's a small thing in the big picture but it hurts nonetheless.  That's the real cruelty of this,we can't be with loved ones. And we have no idea when or how it will end. 

@MoJoV   It's not a small thing. These adjustments we have to make are sometimes heartbreaking. BTW, today is my daughter's b'day, too. She's 47. We did FaceTime. I sang her Birthday Song while she and her DH laughed. They live in WA where it all started, so they're really nervous and locked down 

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Today was her 14th birthday and we couldn't be with her.  She lives almost 400 miles from us and we've always drove down to be with her.  I talked to her on the phone and started crying..wanted to be upbeat but failed. 

I know it's a small thing in the big picture but it hurts nonetheless.  That's the real cruelty of this,we can't be with loved ones. And we have no idea when or how it will end. 

@MoJoV, I totally understand. Happy Birthday to your girl. I have one who will be 15 in May.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV  I understand how you feel! Yesterday was my older granddaughter's birthday.She only lives

30 minutes away and has two boys. I had to send a card and a check because I can't go to the post office. 
  A few weeks ago my great grandson had his second birthday. I missed it and they will be moving across the country. I probably won't see them again. 
  My younger granddaughter has a June birthday and my quarantine won't be over. She's the one I miss so much, and my son. I can't hug them. It's sad!😔

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV 

I just saw this. My heart goes out to you. I have a suggestion. Since she is out of school why don't you start a journaling by email activity with her.

Tell her that you want to share feelings with her because you miss sitting with her and communicating. You will start the email and she responds. It can be any topic and can change daily . It is cool when it is spontaneous.

I get some from my students and they really offer insight about a person. One day it may be very short and another day it goes on and on.

example of how to start:

DATE  _____

I remember the day that you you came into the world. Your mom was so ready for you to arrive with the nursery loaded with supplies. Your mom was so calm and your dad was so not calm. You were to be my first grandchild. I had all of the ideas of the memories we would make. It became so real for me when I first held you. I had to peek to see your fingers and toes and they were so precious. You balled your fist around my finger and I knew we were bonded for life.

This was a joyous day for me! Tell me about one of your joyous days

Let them respond and then post another one.

topics:

favorites

important people

important events

fears

joyful memories

loves

insecurities

This provides both of you with knowledge of the other one. You create your own special memories that belong to the two of you. It provides an outlet for expressing your feelings. It provides her with writing experience in a real world application.

This change can turn the cruelty into meaningful growth for both of you. I will definitely keep you in my prayers and hope this offers some help to you.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1  What a beautiful idea.  Thank you so much for it.  It will give something to look forward in these dark days.  You're the best,Doxie.  Hoping you and your girls are safe and healthy.💞

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@MoJoV 

Cool!  It also helps that nobody sees your tears in an email!

I have some students that still journal with me after 6 years. They are not daily anymore. Remember it can be short.

I did this with my grandparents by snail mail back in the day. I still cherish those memories. It is so much nicer to do it be email because it is faster and you have a record of it.

One of the ones that my group liked was my greatest fear or the scariest moment in my life. As you life goes on this may change Children like to hear that others share similiar feelings.

So far we are isolated and doing well. Hopefully that will continue.

doxie

Respected Contributor

I forgot to say that spelling does not count. If you correct it they are turned off and not as expressive. The  funny thing is that by writing their spelling does improve.

A funny one. A former student one day told me how it was the worse day ever and their last sentence read " Can a day ever get any worse?" This was 6 years ago.

Yesterday I got one from them with , " Can a day ever get any worse?" copied and their new answer...  " Corona yes"

doxie

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV 

Oh I know my GD is sad too.  She's 8 and bday is first week of May.  Of course, besides cancelling school til mid-May, Easter plans & her bday party it's hard on kids☹️

Please wish your GD a wonderful 14th special day!

5C8532D5-C218-436A-A6C1-3D2A4206A68D.jpeg