Honored Contributor

Today is my mom’s birthday. She passed away in 2012. I think of her everyday, but I’ve been thinking about her a lot more lately. (See my threads on My Mom’s Sewing & My Mom’s Jewelry). 

My mom loved to sing in the church choir and around the house. She is definitely the reason why I am a singer. She loved to sew anything and everything. She also made the absolute best homemade cookies. I still use her recipes to treat family & friends. She never knew a stranger and loved to talk. 

My mom was born in the 1920s. She and her family struggled through the Great Depression and a horrible flood that caused them and most of the city to lose their homes. Her father worked on the railroad & died when she was about 20 years old. Her mom was a cook in a local hospital. My mom’s sister worked as a secretary & my mom worked at Woolworths to help support the family. They never had much. 

My mom began corresponding with a young serviceman in WW2 through a letter writing campaign sponsored by her church. They married a few years after the war ended. Mom took care of us all until she became ill & passed away. Thanks, Mom! Love & miss you. 

23910F56-F557-436D-B343-5E666AC3245D.jpeg

IMG_1184.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Today is Mom’s Birthday

Wilma, 

Those are beautiful pictures of your Mother.  Thanks for sharing with us.

loss of.jpg

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

What a lovely woman!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

What a loving tribute to you Mom, @wilma .  In the first photo, she reminds me of Lauren Bacall.  Happy birthday to her this Easter, and blessings on you!

Honored Contributor

In the second picture, she very much resembles my late mother.  (Today is my sister's 81st birthday).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a beautiful woman and a lovely tribute.  When you have a wonderful mother, it such a great loss in ones life.  I had that, too.  My mother passed in April of 2011 and I think of her everyday.  My dad passed away the year before, almost to the day.

We are blessed.  So many didn't have great parents.

Happy Easter, @wilma .

(I bet she dazzled your dad with those eyes!)

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@wilma  very sweet post 🌸

Respected Contributor

@wilma Such a beautiful woman, and life story. I enjoyed your previous post re: her sewing, too.  Thanks for sharing her with us, on her BD.

Reminiscing is ongoing healing. I've been thinking more of my mom, too, who passed in 2017. I lost her years before she died, as Alzheimer's took hold. It became harder to remember her as she was. 

Staying at home, slowing things down, has the benefit of being able to reflect on things past. I've gained new insight into some of my mom's life, I previously didn't understand. I also can, once again, see her better now, before she no longer knew who I was. Loss is a challenging process.   

Honored Contributor

What a lovely representative your mother was of The Greatest Generation.

May God bless her soul.

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

Thank you for sharing your Mom’s stories.  

You are blessed in your Relationship and the Good Memories. 🌺 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras