Honored Contributor

Re: Today - September 17 Is My Wedding Anniversary.

@Desertdi  Not back when we were born.  I know, I have his birth certificate and I have mine.

The first 6 numbers are the same and he was born in Washington state and I was born in Virginia.

So it can’t be what you said.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethc, As I read your message I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. I read your letter i looked at myhusband and asked if he had written this message?. LOL My honey and I have been married for 53 years. I was at a dance in Newport, R.I. with a group of girlfriends. My husband was in Naval Officer's School and was with a group of  officers at this dance .He looked completely "out of place" very shy and standing alone. I am completely opposite. Went over to him and started a conversation. Of course I was doing most of the talking. (I still do) Well, we sat and talked for several hours. Next morning I said I was going to church and he said he would like to go with me. Thus we began. i was only able to see him on weekends and we were married 9 weeks later!!! We also had Vietnam over us. His first duty was at Virginia beach and we had two great years in Virginia. Then he was sent to Vietnam for 1 year. He was a Civil Engineer . LONG YEAR. Thank God he returned. Also worked two jobs attending Univ for his Master's degree . Our only child was born six years later.Life is wonderful. Thank God but where did the time go? thank you for your message..May you Sept.17 Anniversary have many beautiful memories. We are truly blessed.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66. Forgive me my computer did not add cat to your name. Prov

Honored Contributor

@sligo  It’s all good.😘

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

What a great story you shared with us about parts of your life. Sounds like you two were meant to be, and both of you have been an outstanding example for your kids and grandkids of the right way to live, and enjoy a happy life.

Happy Anniversary!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks for he kind words.  I’ve always enjoyed your posts.

Honored Contributor

@sligo  Yes, it is very similar.  Isn’t it funny that when you know you’ve got the “right one”...you just...well...know it!  Ha

My daughters never asked much about us growing up in the 60’s but my Grandchildren, they want to hear all about it.  

My my daughter sent us a picture of “Meet Courtney 1986...she’s changing the game”, she has acid washed jeans and jelly bracelets”...they all 3 posted “we feel so old”.  Ha.

I have a theory why we can remember so much of the past.  It’s because most of our big memories are already made.  It gives us comfort to remember them.

It’s so ironic how he stood up and died because he was such a dare devil.  Oh!  The stories I can tell you of his antics.

He worked out every day.  We were total opposites.  When you mentioned how you were an extrovert and he wasn’t that’s exactly like the two of us.

We’d go to parties and I’d go one way and he’d settle in with one or two people.  I’d go everywhere and introduce myself.  Sometimes I’d bring them to meet my honey.  I just love people.  My motto is “Everyone has a story to tell”.

Here’s what I used to say when people would say, “You could still get married again”...I used to say, “I was married to Filet Mignon.  Why would I settle for hamburger”.

Sounds like you could say that too.

One thing I do is when I miss him so much and I feel like he’s nearby, I write him letters about things that happened in our lives.  I put them in an envelope and seal them up.

They are for our daughters and grandchildren to read and to comfort them when they miss us after I die.

You might keep a little notebook handy and as you think of an incident or spoken words between the two of you, jot them down for your daughter and grandchildren.  As they are read, the reader would share in some of the closeness you and your husband had.  You could also put them on a computer.

Take care and thanks for sharing your story and thank you for your service to our country.  I have friends who’s husbands served in the military.  Their wives were at home caring for the house, bills and children.  

Wives are hero’s who aren’t mentioned often enough.  All mothers are heroes, but especially wives of military people.

It can stress out families where the wide and children are home leading their lives.  Then Daddy and husband comes back.  It’s more rules have to change again and another way of doing things.  Yes, all of you are serving too.

Be safe and plant a kiss on the Filet Mignon of yours.😘

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, THANK YOU MY FRIEND! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  

Beautiful ---  Love Story and the way you write. I can feel the love Thank you for sharing. 

Respected Contributor

How very special.