Trusted Contributor

I'm in a dilemma right now.

Our office is up for a vote to unionize with a major union ( think truck drivers).

Any perspective is welcome. 

Esteemed Contributor

Vote union

Honored Contributor

My father and step-father were members of one of the strongest and largest unions in the country (at that time).  They were members from the time they were 16 and 17 years old.

I think there was a time when unions were a good thing.  I think they helped people.

It's not like I know but I've read and heard a few things about them (mostly con).  The problem I heard is that they don't really represent what people need and want.

They support a particular candidate and lots and lots of money goes to that candidate.  Think about that.  Do your research.

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan....and from what I understand...your dues are used to represent the union politically.....you may not agree with where your money is spent.

Honored Contributor

Re: To unionize or not?

[ Edited ]

@ChicagosuburbangirlI would say look at your entire working conditions and I would suspect there are many issues in order for anyone to initiate a union vote.  I would say vote union unless you are working in near perfect conditions.  I don't know what your working conditions are but even though unions are not perfect, you will most likely benefit from it.  Nonmonetary perks alone are many.  Nonunion shops very often show much favoritism and often there are raises they give based on ratings and management can keep anyone from receiving those raises no matter how good their work is if they don't like them and there is nothing that can really be done about it.  There are often more health and safety issues in nonunion shops.  Work assignments are often inconsistent and unfair.  For reasons like the above it is well worth it.  Just know the members are the union and need to actively participate and not just expect union officials take over to make the most of the union.  The choice is ultimately yours but consider all the above as well as any monetary gains likely.  If there were no unions things would gradually go back to the way workers were taken advantage of.  I know my family background going back to my grandfathers is strong union and they were the ones that fought for working conditions as we know them now.  As for me, I was a member for nearly 40 years, chief steward for over 20 years and local officer for many.  I would never work in a non union shop with employment at will where you can be fired for no particular reason!!!!

FYI  - No dues is ever used for political action.  It is something extra that members can choose to contribute to!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Without a union you have no one to bargain or represent you in a dispute. We worked for peanuts at the one hospital I worked at, professional and nonprofessional alike. If you had a supervisor who didn't like you she could make your life miserable or get you fired. We voted in a union and that all changed, much higher salary and if we were being harassed there was someone we could go to to represent us. My husband was a teacher and when ever they were called into the administration office they always took their union rep with them. The teachers would never get a raise in our area without a union and even with one they work without contracts for years before they get anything. I believe there are some companies who treat their employees fairly and pay them what they are worth, but they are few. IMO

Respected Contributor

Re: To unionize or not?

[ Edited ]

Chicagosuburbangirl:  Yes, do your research.  I believe that unionization is a very good thing and am a member of one, which I helped to establish.  Pay, benefits of all sorts, and retirement/pension issues were all improved, as was the scene overall for the employer, by the way, though it took them many years before management finally also saw the benefits from their perspective, as well, that it was good for the institution.

It is a positive to have a voice in the workplace and enhances job satisfaction.  And the more that individual union members are involved as committee mebers, stewards, attending membership meetings and being familiar with the contract the better the results of unionization are.

This opionion is based on my experience that spans thirty six years as a union member.  Good luck!

P.S.  I've "hearted" all who have replied so far since I think it is wonderful that all the responses have been sincere and thoughtful--that's what the USA is all about.

Esteemed Contributor

If you need a dog to help you in your fight, then you are voting for the The Really Big Dog.

They are not once what they were is true but this one still has teeth and it's far better than going it alone.

Valued Contributor

My husband and son are in the same line of work. My husband’s company has a union. Our son’s does not. I can tell you first hand the difference is life-changing, and not in a good way FOR OUR SON. As soon as there is an opening our son will apply at my husband’s company.

V O T E   U N I O N ! ! !

Respected Contributor

Educate yourself on what unions are and do and the things that change. I think unions are great for some businesses and unnecessary in others.