Honored Contributor

I just read an article from HGTV on FB some helpful hints on how to help keep stink bugs out of your home.  Sorry I did not get the link but I think if you go to HGTV website you can find the article.

Stink bugs dont like dryer sheets.  I am going to go to Dollar General and get some cheap kind and put them on my window and door screens.  They also dont like essential oils.  They recommend a solution of the oil and water to spray around doors and windows.  I am going to get some peppermint essential oil and set it around in my house.  Spiders dont like peppermint either.  I dont think I will spray unless they become a huge problem.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie Let us know if it works for stink bugs. I get so many!

EOs & dryer sheets have not worked for spiders or mice in my house.

I have tried them for those invaders.

I live in the country so I have had all manner of creatures (Snakes, chipmunks, lizards, goats...) in my house & none of them minded that there was peppermint oil & dryer sheets tucked around to NOT welcome them.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie   I went to the site & below is the only stink bug article I could find.....

Stinkbug Invasion!

A little common sense—and crushed bay leaves—will help keep these pesky bugs at bay.
teenager stink bug.jpg

I Smell Trouble: Stinkbugs head inside before the first frost to hide in drapes and exhaust fans.

After the record-breaking heat of summer, we’re spending as much time outside this fall as possible. But as we’re headed out, bugs like silverfish, spiders, earwigs, flies and ants are headed in to scout out places to hide this winter.

If you think that stinks, you don’t know the half of it: brown marmorated stinkbugs came on the scene in the late '90s in Pennsylvania but are now smelling up everything inside and out in 38 states.

“In September and October, when plants are harvested and food sources dry up, stinkbugs switch gears and seek shelter indoors,” says Dr. Quig-He Zhang, Ph.D.

“It’s important to break the life cycle now so they don’t survive over winter months and attack your garden in spring.”

Stinkbugs hide in baseboards, exhaust fans, drapes and other warm, dark places. If you spot one, remove it with a towel or tissue and flush them immediately. Don’t suck them up with a vacuum: they’ll live up to their name by emitting a foul odor.

Here are a few ways to keep bugs at bay:

• Clean up brush and keep mulch and firewood piles away from the house.
  • Seal up cracks and crevices with caulk, repair screens and don’t forget to check basement foundations for crumbling mortar.
  • Clean up cupboard shelves and seal up sugary foods that attract insects.
  • Create a barrier in doorways and around windowsills with crushed bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves.

Full Article:  hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/animals-and-wildlife/stinkbug-invasion

**  I deleted links & sentences that were not relevent to "stink bugs." **

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac .............Thanks for the info.  I seem to have a lot less this year than last year.  I am looking for the proverbial "ounce of prevention."

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

We had a stink bug problem once (knock on wood) outside our house, not inside.  They would gather at one of my windows.  I tried many of the suggestions found on line....the spray around the windows, smells they don't like, leaving bowls of dish soap around.,....didn't work.  I had pest control out and they couldn't do anything, which I was shocked.  Eventually they went away and hasn't come back....thank goodness.

Honored Contributor

When the stink bugs fly inside (usually when we potty Shadow) I throw a small section of wet paper towl over them ball it up, and run cold water over it.  Squeeze a little, and trash.  DONE!!!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I've tried the dryer sheet thing and they still came in my house.  Now I just grab a ton of paper towel so I can't feel them and put them way deep down into the garbage where they can't get out.  I hate them.  For some reason they really freak me out.  They're so weird looking.   

Honored Contributor

What do stink bugs smell like?  Someone told me they smelled like a green tree leaf?  Do they stink?

I was so freaked out by the cicadas everyone was talking about and never saw one last summer.  And the invasion of the lantern flies and those I've never seen to the best of my knowledge.

What's next?

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What do stink bugs smell like?  Someone told me they smelled like a green tree leaf?  Do they stink?

I was so freaked out by the cicadas everyone was talking about and never saw one last summer.  And the invasion of the lantern flies and those I've never seen to the best of my knowledge.

What's next?

@Lucky Charm 

"Lantern flies"?  Never heard of them. Stink bugs by the dozens here this year. Can't keep them out, but spraying them with Pet Safe formula, kills them easily.

Sometimes I grab a paper towel like others mentioned. Just touching them with your bare fingers?  Very strong smell, get right to soap and water.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)