Honored Contributor

Re: Tis the season for tipping

I would tip her.She is trying but that job starts very early,pays nothing much and she has to use her own vehicle.I had a delivery person whose vehicle broke down often so the paper was late or didn’t arrive.I felt sorry for that person and gave a great tip.His car was so loud that I could hear him coming when he could get it running.He always put my paper on the porch out of the rain so I knew he did his best.

Esteemed Contributor

I’m a generous tipper when the service is good.I don’t tip for bad service.I also hate it when a tip is expected.

Honored Contributor

Do whatever you want.  Personally, I don't think of a holiday tip as a reward or punishment.  Tipping is not a requirement so don't tip since you don't really want to.  I personally, would give her a $10 gift card to some coffee shop or fast food restaurant.  

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

I don't think I would tip her.  She is traveling far, but not doing the job well.  Does she live in a rural area where there are no jobs available?  Seems odd to travel so far to deliver papers.

No, she lives in the City of Philadelphia. I know the area where she lives and it has lots of stores and businesses.

Respected Contributor

I've been struggling with the same issue.  We get two papers delivered also - city paper and a local paper.  I didn't give a tip to the city carrier for years but they've been better this year so I'm thinking of a small tip.  The local carrier I gave a tip last year.  But lately he or she doesn't even throw the paper on my property - it's on the sidewalk or even on the street.  A day or so ago both papers were on the street.  The city guy must be thinking if the other paper's out here why not mine too lol.  My driveway is 30 feet wide - not that hard to hit even from a moving car. I don't know what to do.  

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Instead of tipping her money how about a batch of home made cookies, a pie or bread, etc.?

Because smart people do NOT eat home made foods from people they do not know well.  Most employers instruct the employees to avoid those foods.  It's best to give commercially prepared goodies if you don't want to waste your time and money.  

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Instead of tipping her money how about a batch of home made cookies, a pie or bread, etc.?

In the back of my head is something a co-worker said to me numerous times. "If someone gives me home made cookies or any other home made food item, I throw it away. I go right to a trash can and get rid of it".

Yes, and it really hurts to do that but the reality is that no one knows what goes on in the homes and kitchens of strangers.  In our office, we keep the homemade stuff in our break room.  Some people do take what appeals them, usually it's the young guys in the office but most of it just gets thrown in the trash.  We don't get as much now as we did years ago.  Management discourages employees from bringing homemade foods into the office too.  They cater the office holiday party and and ask employees to bring commercially prepared desserts.

Valued Contributor

I would probably give a small $ gift card and a ornament or keychain, etc. 

Valued Contributor

I personally understand it for good newspaper delivery!!

But, what I'm struggling with is hairdresser.  This I don't get.  I tip her 20% every 6 weeks.  I don't think she does an exceptional job.  I don't understand a Holiday tip in addition to the 20%.  ??????????????

Honored Contributor

Some generic thoughts about holiday giving:  Erring on the side of seasonal good wishes and doing things for those in need, I'd go for a gift generic gift card or from a store or fast food outlet nearby.  I'm sure she needs the money more than stuff.   

And after all what you give is about how you feel.  Don't give unless you give with an open heart.  Don't give if it angers you.  Maybe the answer is don't give by someone else's service record but by your record of service to others!