Super Contributor

Re: Tis the season for tipping

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

One delivery man is just wonderful and has done it for years. So I want to generously tip him. The other ----- well she does not always deliver our paper. In the beginning when she used to "forget" us we would get 2 (the one that was missed and the current day) delivered. We don't get that anymore. we don't even complain that we don't get the paper because we do not get a paper delivered after complaining.

She missed us last Friday. And I don't keep a record but she misses us one day about every 2-3 weeks. She gave us a card today and expects a tip. 

I have a question. What do you mean she expects a tip?

My advise to you would be to complain EVERY TIME she doesn't deliver a paper and make sure that the missing paper is delivered. You are paying for, aren't you?

Honored Contributor

@TTerri wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

One delivery man is just wonderful and has done it for years. So I want to generously tip him. The other ----- well she does not always deliver our paper. In the beginning when she used to "forget" us we would get 2 (the one that was missed and the current day) delivered. We don't get that anymore. we don't even complain that we don't get the paper because we do not get a paper delivered after complaining.

She missed us last Friday. And I don't keep a record but she misses us one day about every 2-3 weeks. She gave us a card today and expects a tip. 

I have a question. What do you mean she expects a tip?

My advise to you would be to complain EVERY TIME she doesn't deliver a paper and make sure that the missing paper is delivered. You are paying for, aren't you?

The reason I think she expects a tip is because she included an envelope with her address already printed on it, for easy mailing.

Yes, we are paying for all the newspapers whether we get them or not. We were not keeping a record. But I think I am going to start keeping track of when she misses us. We paid for 6 months at a time.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

When I had home delivery, the delivery person was like an independent contractor and was not supervised or held accountable by the newspaper company.  So, if I had a problem, there was no one higher up to complain to.

Hopefully, the set up is different for you.

And @drizzellla, have you spoken directly to her about the missed deliveries? Maybe there is an explanation.

Honored Contributor

You don't know how many people subscribe in your area. If only a few what she earns is less than what it costs her to deliver them. Perhaps she hopes her poor service will cause you and any others to cancel your subscriptions.

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  I pay for the newspaper every other month and include a tip with that payment. So, no, I don't tip during the holiday season for the carrier. By tipping throughout the year, my deliveries are exceptional. My husband and I began doing this in 1969 (at my mom's suggestion). Never had a problem with newspaper deliveries, while neighbors have had all kinds of troubles.

Perhaps an on-going tip, similar to my beautician's tips, encourages great service year-round? I've begun doing the same with the lawn service crew and the trash service. It leaves more money for Charities at the end of the year . . . when they need it most! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

When I had home delivery, the delivery person was like an independent contractor and was not supervised or held accountable by the newspaper company.  So, if I had a problem, there was no one higher up to complain to.

Hopefully, the set up is different for you.

And @drizzellla, have you spoken directly to her about the missed deliveries? Maybe there is an explanation.

I would like to talk to her but I have only seen her tail lights going down the street, once. I used to talk to the previous couple that used to deliver the paper. They were a charming retired couple. He drove and she got the papers ready. But he had to stop because of health issues. 

The paper gives you a phone # if you are missing a paper. And that is the # we always had called.

We are out with the dog anytime after 5:30am. I think we would have seen her but we haven't.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla

Yes, I would give her a gift of cash, and include a small tube of hand cream, or something you know she could use.

This is the Season to let our hearts be a few sizes larger.

(not saying your heart isn’t large enough)

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla

I agree...follow your heart. What a story! It would be kindest to tip (a bit) and then take the issues you are having up again with the company. Cancel after that if things are not right.

You can probably get a better “read” on this person by speaking with her face to face about this❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I understand how it is to work long and hard hours and to not get compensated much for    working at a lot of the jobs, as I have been there myself.  I have always no matter how little I have made myself given a little something at Christmas.  This year, I have made some adjustments. I have had several experiences with getting horrible service -- not just bad, inept service, but where people were just downright rude and ignorant. So, I told DH -- that's it, I am putting my foot down.  I refuse from this point forward to reward anyone for bad service and bad behavior!!!!  If I would have had the work ethic and behaviour at my job that some of these people had, I would not have lasted a day!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@drizzellla, I also had a number for missed deliveries, but it was solely for that. It could not be used for any other communication.

This was a long time ago, but I got a paper invoice and paid by check. The delivery person had a phone number on the invoice and I could contact her directly (I did).

If your delivery person does not have any contact information, honestly, I would be waiting for her. She has to stop that car sometime.