Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of Making Dinner!!

@BunSnoop wrote:

Does anyone else feel like me???

I hate cooking.  When I worked, I fixed a big (for me) entree on Sunday and would make different quick meals with it through Thursday.  Anything left on Thursday went into single serve size containers and put in the freezer. I now have my own frozen dinners.  

Honored Contributor

I haven't felt that way in a very long time but I remember when I did.  The kids were young, I was working, I was going to school at night and the cooking was all on me.  Weight issues run in my family, so I wanted to cook healthy meals.  So, I did.  Even if I was exhausted.  But when my girls were about 13 or 14, things changed.  I got the idea from something I read in a woman's magazine.  Everyone in the house ate; so everyone should cook and then clean up.  Even hubby.  They each cooked on a week day, whuch left just 2 week days for me to cook.  Weekends were not problem.  The girls were responsible for planning the meal, putting the ingredients on the shopping list and cleaning up afterwards.  Same with hubby but he often brought in a pizza and salad or chinese food.  It took pressure off me.  And then we extended it to the house work.  We each had a room or rooms that we were responsible for keep tidy and also for seriously cleaning.   That was more pressure off me.   

Super Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

I usually cook dinner Every.Single.Day I have also grown tired of it.   For some reason it fells like more of a chore than it used to. I think working from home now and not going to the store on my way home from work has something to do with t. That was almost like a ritual for me.  Now I have to plan when to go to the store and then I end up dong other errands also.  

DITTO!!

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

I am also tired of cooking dinner. My husband of 56 years was always a better cook than I ever was. In fact, he taught me how to cook. He graduated from college with a hospitality degree and worked in his family's hotel kitchen from early childhood. He has Alzheimer's but he can still prepare a meal. Most of the time I am the chief cook and bottle washer but I shall try to convince my husband to cook dinner for as long as possible.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I haven't felt that way in a very long time but I remember when I did.  The kids were young, I was working, I was going to school at night and the cooking was all on me.  Weight issues run in my family, so I wanted to cook healthy meals.  So, I did.  Even if I was exhausted.  But when my girls were about 13 or 14, things changed.  I got the idea from something I read in a woman's magazine.  Everyone in the house ate; so everyone should cook and then clean up.  Even hubby.  They each cooked on a week day, whuch left just 2 week days for me to cook.  Weekends were not problem.  The girls were responsible for planning the meal, putting the ingredients on the shopping list and cleaning up afterwards.  Same with hubby but he often brought in a pizza and salad or chinese food.  It took pressure off me.  And then we extended it to the house work.  We each had a room or rooms that we were responsible for keep tidy and also for seriously cleaning.   That was more pressure off me.   

@chrystaltree 

Good for you!  You don't realize what accomplished cooks you set the foundation for!  That was a win-win for you and your girls!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I once worked with an oriental girl who was expected to come home after working 12 hours plus drive time so around 14 hours a day (we worked 3 12 hour shifts with 4 days off) and make a complete Chinese meal each and every night. No leftovers. The sad thing about it was he got home about 3 hours before her and did nothing to help. She said occasionally he would put the rice on to cook. Don't know if they're still married or not. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@BunSnoop 

Sometimes, Noodle Bake is just so plain good!

20200409_000549.jpg

While this sounds quite yummy, all things considered it's a lot of work and as time consuming as lasagne.

@rms1954 

20 minutes?  Then moist leftovers?  Not for me.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Well, my story is different.

I didn't work outside the home when my kids were young and only worked part time when they all started school.  So I was home by a little after noon time.

My husband, when we were all young (lol) worked his azzz off sometimes 7 days a week.  Physical work and out in the elements.

So all meals were up to me.  I love to cook.  I loved packing lunches.

But I also did all the cleaning, wash, yard work for the most part.

No regrets!  (I may have grumbled here and there about cleaning.)

When the kids were old enough, they did their share--including the boys.  I'm a perfectionist and it's what I expected of them.

Now DH and I share the responsibilities.  He would love to cook, but I prefer to do it, would rather have him do something else.  haha 

I don't even eat what I prepare for him.  I usually make something totally different for me for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I can totally understand if someone works full time and including weekends that they would need help.

I never run out of ideas for meals.  Luckily, my husband will eat the same meal over and over if there are leftovers.  I'm the same way.  

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

My husband does all the cooking but he would rather cook than eat out.

Same here @SurferWife .  My hubby enjoys cooking.  Thank goodness because I hate it.  However, I'm on the clean up committee.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

My husband does all the cooking but he would rather cook than eat out.

Same here @SurferWife .  My hubby enjoys cooking.  Thank goodness because I hate it.  However, I'm on the clean up committee.

@San Antonio Gal 

DITTO! My husband is a great cook, but bless his heart, a sloppy one, too.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.