Respected Contributor

Re: Tired of Making Dinner!!

After working part time for almost 20 years while my children were little and my parents were ill, I went back to work full time 2 years ago.  DH is self employed and works from home so he has handled most of the cooking.  Now my daughters who are 19 and 23 are living at home and they have been cooking and cleaning up as well.  Even when I worked part-time DH and I shared cooking and cleaning up duties. Also everybody does their own laundry.  I taught my daughters to do their own at a young age 10 or 11 and DH has always done his own.  He also does the towels and sheets.  I have it good.  My contribution is that I am providing health care benefits for everyone. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I was working I rarely made dinner. We just had leftovers or picked up something on the way home. Now that hubby works from home and I don't work anymore I make something for 2-4 days and we eat that. It's just as easy to cook for 4 meals as it is for 1.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop You seriously mean NO ONE else in your family cooks or cleans up?

I'd be on strike. I'd have take out menus and tell them to fend for themselves for awhile.

You sound more like an indentured servant.

When DH and I got married and both working FT. I made a rule which lasted until DS got married nad DH died: I do NOT cook on Fridays! We enjoyed going out to Burger King, Denny's or for pizza, or we'd get take out.

And DH and DS helped with kitchen clean up. I wasn't the slave, we were a family and we all pitched in.

I think your situation is sad and things need to change.

WHY haven't you ever made the others help? That just makes no sense to me.

Esteemed Contributor

I am tired of it also. I found for me making a dinner menu and only buying what is needed to cook those meals it saves a lot of money and rushing to figure a meal out on the fly. I too utilize my crockpot and it helps with two nightly meals. Leftovers are such a blessing. 

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

My DH and I both worked FT - always.

He got home 2 hours before me.  Sometimes he would make dinner and sometimes he would text me and we'd talk about me just picking something up on the way home.  We also had eggs/toast/soup/grilled cheese/frozen stuff for dinner.  

There's no way I would make dinner every single night if I were working FT.  

I guess if something happens to DH, I'm not ever finding another husband.  

PS  My DH makes Thanksgiving dinner, too.  He likes to cook!  

That is the exact same situation as my husband and I. We had an agreement when we first got married. Whoever got home first would handle dinner. Fortunately my husband got home 2 hours before me. So dinner was always ready when I walked in the door from work.

Then we retired. Now he expects me to plan or cook a dinner several times a week. UGH! I do not like it one little bit. 

And yes my husband gets up early Thanksgiving morning to start cooking the complete meal with all the trimmings. He likes fixing the turkey and stuffing and all the sides. Then my family comes (and sometimes stays for days) and eats. 

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I understand all households are different, but I've never been one to feel like I have to cook a meal 7 days a week, especially after I got home from work. (I'm retired now, and still don't cook every day).

I agree with @ECBG about using a slow cooker. Consider putting pork tenderloins, chicken breasts, or soup fixings in before you leave for work and let it cook on low all day. Or stop on your way home for a pizza.....or order a pizza or other food items for delivery. And by all means get someone to help you clean up the kitchen! Good luck to you!

@jannabelle1  Or oriential with all of the fresh vegetables.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have always done the cooking since we have been married.  I worked full time with three children and had to make dinner every night.  My DH more often than not, will do the dishes.

I still do all of the cooking.  I usually have things in my freezer for nights when I am not in the mood.  I will pull out a steak and pop it under the broiler, or grab a premade meal that I froze ahead, thaw sauce for pasta, etc.

Last night I had to make dinner in a hurry. I threw French fries in the air fryer and dropped some coconut shrimp into some oil to brown and used a premade salad mix.

Dinner was done quickly.  My DH always goes away for two weeks after a thanksgiving. I am home alone and in my glory.  I don't cook much.  I can live on salads.  

That is my two weeks off from cooking vacation.  We do not go out to eat often.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@BunSnoop  I sure do know what you mean. About 20 years ago, I started making my meals for the week on Saturday and/or Sunday. Bingo! This only works if your household is willing to reheat. I understand that some don't. I make 3 meals to supply lunch and dinner for 3 people for 5 days. Sometimes it doesn't get to 5 days, and sometimes it gets to the next Saturday.

why would anyone not be willing to reheat a meal..............

My DH considers reheated meals leftovers and he doesn't like most leftovers.  It's not that anyone is not willing to reheat meals, it's more they don't like reheated meals.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   Yes, my DH is the exact same way.  He's not crazy for leftovers.

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@BunSnoop  I sure do know what you mean. About 20 years ago, I started making my meals for the week on Saturday and/or Sunday. Bingo! This only works if your household is willing to reheat. I understand that some don't. I make 3 meals to supply lunch and dinner for 3 people for 5 days. Sometimes it doesn't get to 5 days, and sometimes it gets to the next Saturday.

why would anyone not be willing to reheat a meal..............

@nana59  I had co-workers who said their spouses would not eat "leftovers." They wanted a fresh meal each night.