Trusted Contributor

On weekdays, after a full day of work, I'm getting so tired of next having to make dinner.

Some days I think I sit down and do nothing, if I'm lucky for 15 - 30 minutes, and then I have to start the ordeal of making dinner.  After that's done, then it's the ordeal of washing dishes, cleaning the counters, etc.

Does anyone else feel like me???

Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of Making Dinner!!

I agree, after 40+ years of being married, I'm sick of thinking what to fix and making sure all ingredients are in the cupboard.

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop  I sure do know what you mean. About 20 years ago, I started making my meals for the week on Saturday and/or Sunday. Bingo! This only works if your household is willing to reheat. I understand that some don't. I make 3 meals to supply lunch and dinner for 3 people for 5 days. Sometimes it doesn't get to 5 days, and sometimes it gets to the next Saturday.

Honored Contributor

I'm not stressed about dinner because I'll put something in the crock pot for several days or he grills.

Having always worked (I am a people person, hate 4 walls), we always shared cooking and washing.

When he grills, we'll throw some vegetables on there too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

often wondered how many meals i've prepared over FIFTY years of wedded bliss....my husband still doesn't know how to turn the stove on.......maybe my next husband will be a good cook!!  lol.....did i really say wedded bliss?!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop. Do you live alone?  If not, get some help in the kitchen for prep or clean up or both.  That's only fair.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@BunSnoop  I sure do know what you mean. About 20 years ago, I started making my meals for the week on Saturday and/or Sunday. Bingo! This only works if your household is willing to reheat. I understand that some don't. I make 3 meals to supply lunch and dinner for 3 people for 5 days. Sometimes it doesn't get to 5 days, and sometimes it gets to the next Saturday.

why would anyone not be willing to reheat a meal..............

Esteemed Contributor

I hear you!!!  Such a pain.  Look in the freezer, yep meat...

Valued Contributor

My DH and I both worked FT - always.

He got home 2 hours before me.  Sometimes he would make dinner and sometimes he would text me and we'd talk about me just picking something up on the way home.  We also had eggs/toast/soup/grilled cheese/frozen stuff for dinner.  

There's no way I would make dinner every single night if I were working FT.  

I guess if something happens to DH, I'm not ever finding another husband.  

PS  My DH makes Thanksgiving dinner, too.  He likes to cook!  

Esteemed Contributor

I understand all households are different, but I've never been one to feel like I have to cook a meal 7 days a week, especially after I got home from work. (I'm retired now, and still don't cook every day).

I agree with @ECBG about using a slow cooker. Consider putting pork tenderloins, chicken breasts, or soup fixings in before you leave for work and let it cook on low all day. Or stop on your way home for a pizza.....or order a pizza or other food items for delivery. And by all means get someone to help you clean up the kitchen! Good luck to you!