Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tipping hair stylist/colorist question

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@Kitty Galore wrote:

my regular hair stylist has had surgery so has set up her  clients with others at the salon.   One will be doing my color and the other will be doing the cutting and styling.   I'm wondering how to handle tipping .    My girl does it  all coloring , washing , and the styling so I have to give only a tip to her.    My cousin goes to the owner and doesn't tip cause as she says you don't tip the owner of the salon.   I always did elsewhere myself.    What kind of tip would you do  for each and how ?   Thanks 😺

The shop I go to is owned by my stylist.  She does my color, foils, and cut.  I have always tipped her the same as when she worked for someone else.  I think your cousin needs to remember that the money you pay goes to the running of the shop and what you tip your stylist goes just to her.  I am not wealthy but I would give anyone that works on you a tip.  Everyone in that shop works hard to please the client.  Especially the people who sweep up your hair and shampoo you or clean the towels that are used to wrap your head after shampoo.  I am not saying to tip everyone but just think about what people do for you.  Sorry, the comment about your cousin just floored me.

@luvmybeetle   No that's ok I don't agree  with my cousin on this either.  I love  my cousin ,   But I don't feel you shouldn't tip the owner because he or she owns the shop .   I always have tipped the owners of other shops  through the years regardless.  She just doesnt agree.