Esteemed Contributor

Tipping hair stylist/colorist question

my regular hair stylist has had surgery so has set up her  clients with others at the salon.   One will be doing my color and the other will be doing the cutting and styling.   I'm wondering how to handle tipping .    My girl does it  all coloring , washing , and the styling so I have to give only a tip to her.    My cousin goes to the owner and doesn't tip cause as she says you don't tip the owner of the salon.   I always did elsewhere myself.    What kind of tip would you do  for each and how ?   Thanks 😺

Respected Contributor

Re: Tipping hair stylist/colorist question

i would split the amount you normally tip in half and give half to each.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @Suzeecat  unless you know the breakdown between the cut and style and the color and one is much more than the other.  If they are close in price or if you don't know the breakdown go ahead and split it evenly.

Honored Contributor

I would give each 15% of their service.  They're using their time which is of equal value.  Their work is first class as well if they're in the salon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suzeecat wrote:

i would split the amount you normally tip in half and give half to each.

^ this.  I'd take my usual tip amount, and give half to the colorist and the other half to the stylist.  I would not tip less because someone other than the regular stylist is doing the work (unless of course, you weren't happy with something)

**If someone else is doing the shampoo, I'd give $5 to that person.

Respected Contributor

I would tip both 20% of the cost of service. I hate when they give you multiple people at a salon.  This happened to me with a pedicure. Midway through one person got up and left and someone else finished. In that case I just tipped the final person since I was not prepared to tip two people.  It think in my place they just pool all the tips anyway.  I don't think they get to keep it.

Honored Contributor

That old rule about not tipping the owner doesn't apply anymore.  The salon I go to has a price menu posted, there are also cards at the reception desk with all the individual prices.  When the shop is busy, one person will do the color and your regular stylist will do the cut and style.  I give each one 20% of her charges.  I  really don't like it when that happens.  After I pay.    I can give my stylist her tip but I have to walk around and find the woman who did the color. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore wrote:

my regular hair stylist has had surgery so has set up her  clients with others at the salon.   One will be doing my color and the other will be doing the cutting and styling.   I'm wondering how to handle tipping .    My girl does it  all coloring , washing , and the styling so I have to give only a tip to her.    My cousin goes to the owner and doesn't tip cause as she says you don't tip the owner of the salon.   I always did elsewhere myself.    What kind of tip would you do  for each and how ?   Thanks 😺

The shop I go to is owned by my stylist.  She does my color, foils, and cut.  I have always tipped her the same as when she worked for someone else.  I think your cousin needs to remember that the money you pay goes to the running of the shop and what you tip your stylist goes just to her.  I am not wealthy but I would give anyone that works on you a tip.  Everyone in that shop works hard to please the client.  Especially the people who sweep up your hair and shampoo you or clean the towels that are used to wrap your head after shampoo.  I am not saying to tip everyone but just think about what people do for you.  Sorry, the comment about your cousin just floored me.

Esteemed Contributor

I do know  the cost of each.   I guess I will give the tip to the owner who will take my money as she will be the last one i see and ask her to give the colorist his tip at that time.   At least it's a one time thing as my regular girl will be back at my next appointment and I love how she does my hair.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That old rule about not tipping the owner doesn't apply anymore.  The salon I go to has a price menu posted, there are also cards at the reception desk with all the individual prices.  When the shop is busy, one person will do the color and your regular stylist will do the cut and style.  I give each one 20% of her charges.  I  really don't like it when that happens.  After I pay.    I can give my stylist her tip but I have to walk around and find the woman who did the color. 

@chrystaltree    I know what you mean ,   that's why I figured I'd give the tip for the colorist to the stylist to give him as it is a very busy salon and I don't want  to track him down,   especally when he's with another client.