Occasional Contributor

Has anyone out there had problems with tinnutis???? I am frustrated and need it to go away!!!

Respected Contributor

I have it too...must sleep with a fan on

Esteemed Contributor

Don't think it goes away.  There are various masking devices, but it is there to stay.  Most of the time I am able to ignore mine and it does not interfere with my sleep.

Valued Contributor

I have it and once you have it, it doesn't go away.  Sometimes it's worse than others but overall it doesnt cause too many problems.  Sometimes when it's bad, I notice that I speak too loudly.  That's about the only issue I've noticed.  

Respected Contributor

Here is a site that answers questions about tinnitus from the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/home/ovc-20180349

Honored Contributor

I wish there was a remedy!  Sometimes mine is so loud I want to shove a pencil through my head.   But it's always there, just not always really loud.

I find I can only hear TWO things at a time - the ringing in my ears and one more thing.   What's frustrating now that manners are out of vogue is that if there are a few people together, in RL or on TV or something, and they all talk at the same time, I go on sensory overload.     I liked it better when one person talked at a time and others waited their turn.  Smiley Happy   For more than one reason - manners plus my inability to deal with everybody talking at once along with my tinnitus.

The other bummer (since I'm venting) is that I often find people talking in almost a whisper.  Normally, that would not have caused me problems because I really never liked loud-talking anyway.   But now I have trouble hearing and if you mention that you cannot hear they, they practically YELL and that's even worse.  So I have learned to just nod my head and pretend I can hear them unless it's something of which I need to really make sure I hear the details.

Respected Contributor

Ringing in the ears is extremely annoying.  I hate to think I'll have it the rest of my life and there's no cure.   Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

The best thing - really the only thing - you can do is to ignore it. Don't pay any attention to it.

Esteemed Contributor

@gmom labluvr wrote:

Has anyone out there had problems with tinnutis???? I am frustrated and need it to go away!!!

It will NEVER go away.  I hate to say it but, you are going to have it for the rest of your life.

Valued Contributor

I hate to tell you this, but tinnitus is usually a precursor to hearing loss. I had it for years until my hearing deteriorated to the point where I had to have aids. (Not at all a bad thing; better than not being part of the world.)

I no longer have tinnitus, even after I've taken out my hearing aids for the night.