Respected Contributor

I can do the housework, although I hate it, but it's the yardwork that's getting to me in my old age.  I have a third of an acre to keep up and water.  I just finished edging the front and it took me an hour.  Now for the mowing.  I'm ready to throw in the towel and hire someone next summer.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@vermint 

Like you, I had someone cleaning my home every 2 weeks when I worked.  Thankfully, I could continue to afford to have it done when I retired.

However, in March, we both decided to put it on hold and I've been doing it myself.

Cannot say I enjoy it, but I don't forsee a time when I will feel comfortable having someone come into my home again.

@Witchy Woman  Several of my housekeeper's clients felt as you do. We did discuss it and, in the end, I left it up to her...and she decided to keep working for me. DH & I, as well as the housekeeper, are in our 60's, but in reasonably good health. We also don't have close contact with really elderly relatives so won't be risking them. Everyone has to do what's right for them.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop 

One of the many benefits of retirement. With a large feline family that is an every day thing. Overall that keeps the house cleaner and nothing piles up.

A regular part of my every day! 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

i used to have a live in housekeeper for years. when she retired, i simply did everything myself and never thought of hiring another. i found that i preferred to do things myself 

Honored Contributor

We also had to stop our once-a-week help. We did not think that it was a good idea to have someone cleaning our house during this pandemic.

She had been with us for 16 years, when we bought this house. We continued to pay for a couple months and told we would have to stop and that we hoped eventually to have her come back. She was very gracious and thanked us helping those few months.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Time For House Cleaning

[ Edited ]

@BunSnoop wrote:

I usually do my house cleaning on Saturday mornings.  I'm trying to do it now, but just not in the mood.  Oh well, the sooner I get to it the sooner it will be done!

Misery loves company.....anyone else doing the same as me today?

@BunSnoop 

Yes. Saturday has always been our house cleaning day before retirement & still is after retirement. My DH & I can usually complete the task in a few hours.

Honored Contributor

I'm just bad at this, so it's always the last stuff I want to do.  For many years I had help.  We let her go a few years ago.  While I don't miss her for a minute (she was a hot mess but I kept her on for years because she was totally uneducated and it was all she could do) I really miss having the help.

I can never do anywhere nearly as much as I need to and I've had to learn to accept that everything in my house is not perfect.  Plus, having a Golden (plus me with long hair) there is always hair everywhere.   I do my best.  Picking up hair poofs  (mostly his) is a 2-3 times a day chore.

Esteemed Contributor

I downsized to a smaller place that I keep up with daily. Saturday is always laundry day. Three loads completed for this week.

When I had a large house and kids and husband all at home I had someone in biweekly. I was always cleaning for the cleaning peson/ people the day before and the day of! Everything looked SO good after they finished. The best people were the first and last that I used. The only time I have used a housekeeper at my present home was prior to moving in, as the place was very dirty. It was an estate sale and the deceased's brother was a nut and interested only in the settlement check. I would consider treating myself to a house deep cleaning once or twice a year.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I can do the housework, although I hate it, but it's the yardwork that's getting to me in my old age.  I have a third of an acre to keep up and water.  I just finished edging the front and it took me an hour.  Now for the mowing.  I'm ready to throw in the towel and hire someone next summer.

@Scooby Doo Same here!  We have a 1/3 acre too and it used to take DH an hour just to do the front and another hour (the following day since he hated it!) to do the back. 

We finally got someone starting last year to come once a week to mow & edge...takes him 15-20 minutes total and he does a great job!...Money well spent! 

Now I would like to hire someone to weed (DH and I both hate to do it!) and to mulch in the spring and trim trees that have gotten way too big!...

Landscaping like housework is a never ending battle!

Honored Contributor

I think the most bang for the buck is getting yard work done.  If I had to choose, that would be where to spend money.  We've had it done for many years now.

That and having automatic yard sprinklers what a blessing that is!