Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts and Opinions on Unchaperoned Senior Trips

What you've described doesn't sound like a "senior trip" to me.  At least, not the kind we had back in the dark ages.

A senior trip is either a chaperoned school-sanctioned class trip, or a group of senior friends taking a trip usually to party.  
It sounds to me like your daughter is the only senior in this group.  Everyone else is well past high school senior age.

Honored Contributor

Today's world is a scary place but really, there have always been opportunities for young people to either misbehave or to be somehow exploited. The thing is, it can happen anywhere, anytime. An 18 year old does not have to go to Atlanta with friends to be at risk. Personally, I think it's her choice.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless I have missed it I would appreciate an update on this subject.  @patticakes 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I agree with those who say a senior trip is sanctioned by the school and is attended by schoolmates. This does not sound like a senior trip as everyone else is already out of school, in college, etc. It's a girls trip and if your daughter is 18, then there is nothing you can do to stop her from going unless she is expecting you to finance the trip. Personally, I don't think going is a good idea but that's just me.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

For me this would be a big No!!! For one thing she is 18, but the other ladies are older, and you don't know them or much about them, and who knows what they would want to do once there?

Your daughter is just 18, and I would not let me own daughters-I have 2 go away like that unsupervised. It is way too dangerous, and there is too much going on..If she were asking to go with a group all her age with a chaperone, then maybe...You may be considered legally grown at 18, but every child is different and matures at different ages as well.....

Only you know your daughter that well, but better to be safe!!!! 

Frequent Contributor

No,no and no. Over my dead body. Both my daughters stayed home. I wasn't going to have my girls be another Natalie Holloway. May she rest in peace.
Respected Contributor

It’s different times these days for sure.  I went to the beach with several girlfriends from work.  Ages 19-25.  It was fine, but it was in the early 80’s.  Much different times.  My parents let me go, I was 19, mature and still at home, BUT, my parents always followed the my house, my rules......our ages varied, but several were 19, but there was also 9 of us.  Some work friends, and a few friends of the friends.  Yes, we drank a little, but our goal of the trip was to get a great tan, and relax.  

Seems these days, a lot of families do beach vacations and take a friend.  I guess I watch too much dateline, 48 hours.  I have to say, I stayed and lived at home till I was 25.  I got to travel a lot, friends, sister, and could afford to do so since I was still at home.  Our trips were Hawaii, Disney, Canada, beach vacations.   It was some of the best times.  

So many friends left home at 18 and really struggled with rent, car payments, food, utilities, etc.  I was blessed to have a good home life, with wonderful parents.  I know everyone doesn’t have those options.  I paid all my own bills, AND rent at home.  (Yes, small payments) but it taught us a lot in life and it helped me have a lot of financial responsibilitiy at a young age.  

Honored Contributor

just a question for everyone.  First, I think all the comments and viewpoints here have been good.

So, at what point, do you let them go and be an adult?  Different times for sure, but I left for college 4 1/2 hours away from home at 17 1/2. My parents would have no supervision of me then.  Up to me to make good choices, which, fortunately, I did.

If 18 is too young for a girl's trip (in no way is the trip proposed by the OP a "senior trip"), when then?  When is the 18th ear old considered a real adult?  When they're 21, when they move out (at whatever age)?  Just wondering how we all feel about that.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

just a question for everyone.  First, I think all the comments and viewpoints here have been good.

So, at what point, do you let them go and be an adult?  Different times for sure, but I left for college 4 1/2 hours away from home at 17 1/2. My parents would have no supervision of me then.  Up to me to make good choices, which, fortunately, I did.

If 18 is too young for a girl's trip (in no way is the trip proposed by the OP a "senior trip"), when then?  When is the 18th ear old considered a real adult?  When they're 21, when they move out (at whatever age)?  Just wondering how we all feel about that.

I don't think there is a specific age that applies to everyone.  We probably all know kids at age 15 that are more adult than some at 50.  It depends on the child themself, the situation (where they want to go, what they want to do), and, in the end, the parents.

All that said, I left home at 18.  And I just sort of announced to my parents that I was going.  I didn't ask.  Yes, there was a series of 'discussions' at that point, but I did go.  Our relationship remained close.

Had I to do it again, I would have handled it better, but I still would have gone.

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, now reading this thread I am not seeing how this is a "senior trip" either unless we are just talking about the fact that she's a senior and wants to go on a trip so is calling it a "senior trip".

I will say though that having chaperones means zilch.  Nothing.  I went on a trip after graduating with chaperones who spent every night in a bar.  Same with my sister.