Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thoughts and Opinions on Unchaperoned Senior Trips

It is difficult to give advice when you don't know the parties involved. I can share my experience with my grandson. My son and daughter-in-law knew his friends and their parents. They were all on the high school football team. I think that makes a big difference when you know them. They had a road trip to North Dakota for five days after graduation. 

I think we all have gut instincts and know what is right for our families. Do what you think is best for your daughter to keep her safe.

Honored Contributor

My radar would be flashing red. Is it really a school function or is it something the kids do every year?  No school would take on the liability of sponsoring or coordinating a trip without chaperones. 

Honored Contributor

there are still Senior trips??? am surprised thats still a thing---kind of old fashion----our trips were usually before granduation, all chaperoned and only one day starting very early in the morning and back by nightfall--don't think I went on mine as it was always someplace lame. and we paid for it---but I think my son went to Oregon and back on the train. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

My radar would be flashing red. Is it really a school function or is it something the kids do every year?  No school would take on the liability of sponsoring or coordinating a trip without chaperones. 

@CalminHeart  I don't think this has anything to do with school. @patticakes  called it a Senior Trip but I thought thoses were for students in high school. I could be wrong. Her daughter is 18 and the girls are older.

At first when I read Senior trip without chaperones I was wondering what school would do that, but the school isn't involved.

Respected Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

Atlanta for about three or so days with friends she met at work, who are at least two years older than her.  She just turned 18.  Atlanta is about three hours away.  I'm assuming she's like to go since she asked; however, I don't know that it was her idea.  I think she's just intrigued because they included her.  All the others have been out of school for at least two years and some away at college.We're worried that it's a little much, too soon, especially since the others in the group have been on their own for awhile.

I live about an hour North of Atlanta.  I was surprised of this trip destination because typically a senior trip is WDW or a beach or something like that.  Not  ATL.  Atlanta isn't a safe city.  We never go into ATL.  My husband was talking about this about a month ago, it's a crappy town and then with all the violence on top of that...just stay out.  My nephew who lives in NC now (he's 24 and just finished grad school and living on his own) was in ATL last week to meet a client for work.  He's 6'4" and he said he did not like ATL at all.  I'd follow your gut, even if she's 18 it doesn't mean she is mature enough.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read all of the posts.

She has to make sure she doesn't leave her drink (non-alcoholic) at the table at any time.

We know of a case when someone dropped a few drops of that s*x drug into her drink, and luckily two of her (male friends in the group rushed her (or called paramedics) to the hospital. 

Her personality had 'changed' and was 'all over' the place, looking for trouble to herself.

Personally, if her co-workers are at least two years older than she is, I'd suggest that she waits until she becomes their age and also find closer friends/cousins/relatives to go with.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

If she was raised well, I think she should be able to make choices for herself.

When my son was 16 I dropped him off at a Senior Party. I had just arrived home and he text to come and get him that he wasn’t feeling well. I arrived and he gets in and tells me drive. I drove and asked what’s wrong and he said they have alcohol and playing beer games and there’s no adults.

I was so proud of him.  DH and I don’t drink and never have. DS is now 26 and still doesn’t drink either.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@patticakes wrote:

Atlanta for about three or so days with friends she met at work, who are at least two years older than her.  She just turned 18.  Atlanta is about three hours away.  I'm assuming she's like to go since she asked; however, I don't know that it was her idea.  I think she's just intrigued because they included her.  All the others have been out of school for at least two years and some away at college.We're worried that it's a little much, too soon, especially since the others in the group have been on their own for awhile.

I live about an hour North of Atlanta.  I was surprised of this trip destination because typically a senior trip is WDW or a beach or something like that.  Not  ATL.  Atlanta isn't a safe city.  We never go into ATL.  My husband was talking about this about a month ago, it's a crappy town and then with all the violence on top of that...just stay out.  My nephew who lives in NC now (he's 24 and just finished grad school and living on his own) was in ATL last week to meet a client for work.  He's 6'4" and he said he did not like ATL at all.  I'd follow your gut, even if she's 18 it doesn't mean she is mature enough.

@ScrapHappy  I live about 45 minutes from the city of Atlanta. You would be surprised to know how many young families are buying houses there and they can afford it.

Hope where you live would not be considered a "crappy town". I would never refer to any place that way. I would  prefer to say that I would not live there.

By the way, no place is safe anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@patticakes wrote:

@ScrapHappy  I live about 45 minutes from the city of Atlanta. You would be surprised to know how many young families are buying houses there and they can afford it.

Hope where you live would not be considered a "crappy town". I would never refer to any place that way. I would  prefer to say that I would not live there.

By the way, no place is safe anymore.

Several families have moved into our neighborhood from ATL, one a couple of house down from me.  He said he did not feel safe for himself or his family living in ATL.  One of my daughters friends also moved out of Atlanta for the same reason.  

Honored Contributor

@patticakes   You sound very wise to me.  How old is she?  We are living in different times.  When I was growing up it would have been a different story because we still got paddled on the behind if bad.  Today, there are so many other issues tossed in.  That is, teens carrying guns for one thing.  Why don't you have a sleepover with just close friends 3 or 4 at your house.

kindness is strength