Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thoughts and Opinions on Unchaperoned Senior Trips

@geezerette wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

just a question for everyone.  First, I think all the comments and viewpoints here have been good.

So, at what point, do you let them go and be an adult?  Different times for sure, but I left for college 4 1/2 hours away from home at 17 1/2. My parents would have no supervision of me then.  Up to me to make good choices, which, fortunately, I did.

If 18 is too young for a girl's trip (in no way is the trip proposed by the OP a "senior trip"), when then?  When is the 18th ear old considered a real adult?  When they're 21, when they move out (at whatever age)?  Just wondering how we all feel about that.

I don't think there is a specific age that applies to everyone.  We probably all know kids at age 15 that are more adult than some at 50.  It depends on the child themself, the situation (where they want to go, what they want to do), and, in the end, the parents.

All that said, I left home at 18.  And I just sort of announced to my parents that I was going.  I didn't ask.  Yes, there was a series of 'discussions' at that point, but I did go.  Our relationship remained close.

Had I to do it again, I would have handled it better, but I still would have gone.

Yes, @geezerette and @gidgetgh , DD went away to college before she turned 18.  She was about six hours from us but her grandparents lived about 20 minutes from the college so that helped both of us, knowing she had family close by.  

Honored Contributor

Oh.  Those seniors.  I thought you meant the ladies on this board.  

Honored Contributor

It sounds like she has been very sheltered.  I graduated  high school at 16 but my parents were big on teaching responsibility.  This does not sound like a "senior trip" to me (at least not a school sanctioned one).  We were locked in Disneyland overnight for our "senior celebration" and when my daughter graduated they were still doing the same thing. 

Respected Contributor

I live in metro Atlanta. I can tell you that Atlanta is not a safe place if they are going to be out and about at night. There are multiple shooting almost on a daily basis. 

Valued Contributor

How well does she know the other girls that are going?  My oldest son went on a senior week trip to another state. I was a nervous wreck about it but We thought he is a good kid I trust him. I heard from him each day till all of a sudden I didn't. Couldn't get him or his friends on the phone for two days. Of course I had a horrible feeling of dread. On the third day of no contact he walked in the door. He was home a few days early but I was thrilled to see him. Then I learned he had been in jail , arrested for constructive possession of pot along with many others in the hotel room. The pot was on a table in the room and no one would claim it so they all were arrested. We had to hire a lawyer from a different state and go to court.  We made him pay for the lawyer from his part time job. He received community service and a year probation. This was many years ago. He is a well established professional with a beautiful family now. By the way my two younger sons did not attend their senior weeks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Oh.  Those seniors.  I thought you meant the ladies on this board.  

@depglass So funny

I guess it's all in our own perspective.

Still a worrisome topic and I'm sure all parents of graduating seniors understand the worry.

I already said my opinion-no!

@patticakes -stay strong! You will never regret that you did!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

omg, NO!

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

A trip with a family we know would be one thing.  Unchaperoned 17 yr. olds, ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Sex trafficking is HUGE all over the place.

All I'll say is this....

Natalee Holloway.

There was just an incident reported that occurred at Dallas Mavericks game.  A teen was snatched in the bathroom.  Her Dad reacted quickly and she was found 10 days later in Oaklahoma.

Honored Contributor

"When in doubt...don't do it!"  Unfortunately, the world today is different than the one many of us grew up in.  You need more "street smarts"....especially in big cities but trouble happens anywhere.  Personally, I would not want my daughter to go and would strongly tell her that.  I know I treated my daughter differently than her two brothers.  It sounds like you have a good relationship with your daughter.  Be honest about your concerns.  She needs to hear it.  Seriously, do these two "co-workers" really care about her?  These are not life-long friends.  If she decides to go, you have to let her fly on her own.