Valued Contributor

Thoughts and Opinions on Unchaperoned Senior Trips

We're dealing with this issue right now and admittedly nervous about the possibilities.  I'd like some thoughts, opinions and advice from your experiences with your teen.  She's never really gone overnight anywhere on her own, not even many sleepovers with friends and she's just started driving and going places on her own locally like work and movies, etc.  We feel she needs a bit more experience doing those things before taking a trip with friends and no supervision. Your thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts and Opinions on Unchaperoned Senior Trips

[ Edited ]

@patticakes ............What is her age?

More experiences doing what?  How many days will she be gone?  How far away is it?  Does she want to go?  Who is going to pay for it?

Sorry if these questions sound nosy but IMO we need more information to give opinions.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

two words.......SENIOR WEEK.....most of the kids are 17 and 18. many would be going away to college.

i am not sure if i have ever heard of "chaperones" during senior week, including when i was a senior way back when. i trusted and knew most of my kids friends and i trusted my kids to make the right decisions in case of problems......as my parents did with me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patticakes wrote:

We're dealing with this issue right now and admittedly nervous about the possibilities.  I'd like some thoughts, opinions and advice from your experiences with your teen.  She's never really gone overnight anywhere on her own, not even many sleepovers with friends and she's just started driving and going places on her own locally like work and movies, etc.  We feel she needs a bit more experience doing those things before taking a trip with friends and no supervision. Your thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

@patticakes  do you know if the other parents are ok with this? Is this through a school? I'm surprised that this would be allowed. My niece was 16 when she first went on a trip and a few teachers and parents were the chaperones.

Is it an overnight trip? (saw where you said it's an overnight trip).

Valued Contributor

Atlanta for about three or so days with friends she met at work, who are at least two years older than her.  She just turned 18.  Atlanta is about three hours away.  I'm assuming she's like to go since she asked; however, I don't know that it was her idea.  I think she's just intrigued because they included her.  All the others have been out of school for at least two years and some away at college.We're worried that it's a little much, too soon, especially since the others in the group have been on their own for awhile.

Respected Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

Atlanta for about three or so days with friends she met at work, who are at least two years older than her.  She just turned 18.  Atlanta is about three hours away.  I'm assuming she's like to go since she asked; however, I don't know that it was her idea.  I think she's just intrigued because they included her.  All the others have been out of school for at least two years and some away at college.We're worried that it's a little much, too soon, especially since the others in the group have been on their own for awhile.

She's 18 and legally an adult.  You no longer have any say over where she goes or what she does.

Honored Contributor

A trip with a family we know would be one thing.  Unchaperoned 17 yr. olds, ABSOLUTELY NOT.  Sex trafficking is HUGE all over the place.

All I'll say is this....

Natalee Holloway.

Honored Contributor

@patticakes wrote:

@patticakes   I would have to say "no" to this, especially since the friends are older than she is.  Lots of things could go wrong with this scenario, even if you trust her.  It's just not a good idea.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

BTW - I just read today about a 15 yr. old girl who went to the bathroom at a Dallas Mavericks game and never returned. She left with a man, don't know if it was voluntary or an abduction. Long story short, about a week and half after it happened, and the parents trying everything in their power but without much good help from the authorities, they were finally able to get in touch with a group in Houston who worked with them and located the girl on a secks trafficking website.  She was 200 miles away.  Authorities there were notified and she was rescued.  I hate to put it like this because of the overall experience, but she was one of the lucky ones.    

Honored Contributor

@patticakes ...............At 18 she is an adult and can go if she wants.  Nothing you can do about it.

However you could give her your thoughts (unbiased) and tell her its her decision.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)