Contributor

Those of you who work weekends

For all of you out there who work weekends does it ever tick you off when at the end of the week all you hear is "at least it's Friday", "have a great weekend"...etc. I went for over 20 years in a Medical Records office in a hospital after having worked several years weekends back to the drawing board of having to do them again when we got new supervisors. If it were something important like patient care I could understand it. But the office is on the  opposite side of the hospital where almost nobody comes in (or if they do it's right when you are getting ready to leave, etc.) It is so isolated you could be down there dead until Monday when the other people in the office come in. I don't mean to sound like a whiner but I just had to vent! Thanks for listening and I'd like opinions from others who work weekends about what I asked above. Thanks for listening Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Those of you who work weekends

I spent years working nights, weekends, holidays, swing shifts. Now that I'm salary and M-F I've grown to hate it.

The hassle of trying to do all my errands on a weekend or taking time off to head for a dr or dentist appt. Ugh!

I do know what you mean working in isolation, tho. It's best for those of us who prefer our own company. Bring some music, headphones, a book, do some journaling at lunchtime. Heck, I have a co-worker who brings her knitting & crocheting to do on her lunch hour! She said it's great stress relief from the hectic day.

It's your shift. Make it the best you can!

Honored Contributor

I worked weekend graveyard in a resort for years.   That's when everything happens!   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @Detta, I've worked many weekends, and yes, it seems as if most of the world is oblivious to the fact that "their" good weekend (running errands, eating out, etc -) comes at the expense of the people who run those businesses for a living.  Yes, they are revenue generators and therefore important but it does get tiring "playing along" with the 9-5'rs who are out on a lark while the rest of us are toiling away.  I've been known to get really ticked off when asked "how was your weekend?" when people knew that I worked both days.  Scheduling family get-togethers is also hard when you are the only one working those days.  Even family members don't seem to understand.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

just about all my working life I worked weekends...nights...etc...I was a cashier so I had contact with lots of people...(obviously)..

I didn't get ticked off with the "have a nice weekend" so much as when the customers would come in on the Holidays...(yes we were open all Holidays) and the customer would say..."what a shame you are open today"....or " I can't beleive your store is open on the Holiday"....

It took all I could not to say IF YOU WEREN'T HERE SHOPPING...THE STORE WOULD HAVE NO REASON TO BE OPEN....

I am not sure if they realized how ignorant those comments sounded to the working person...or if they were just plain stupid....

I kept my ugly thoughts to myself...smiled...and never said what I really felt....they left happy....and I kept my job for another day....lol....

Respected Contributor

I've had to work weekends, holidays and unsocial hours for years.  I work most weekends now by choice.  I actually love having my time off during the week.  It's nice to go to the mall and not have the kids and crowds and I like that I can take care of appointments and things around the house during the week.  LOL, I also like telling people on Monday morning that it's my Friday, when they are going to work!

Honored Contributor

I worked as a bedside nurse in intensive care then dialysis my entire career. At least in dialysis we got sundays off unless we were on call. I never minded weekends because they were generally quieter than weekdays. Since most of my family had jobs working weekends (paramedics, fireman, policeman, military One of those public service families) it just seemed natural to me. When my husband and I got married , he never really adjusted to my schedules and responsibilities. For instance being called in to work extra on my day off or not being able to leave at the end of my shift were made much more difficult when you get a krap from your husband on top of it. I'm glad the whole thing is behind me.

Honored Contributor

I spent the first 16 years of my hospital career, working the relief 11-7 position at the switchboard, which meant working EVERY single weekend and holiday, as well as providing vacation coverage for the full-time 11-7 shift employee.  My normal schedule was 32 hours a week, and 24 of those hours were fulfilled on Saturday and Sunday.  I too got very tired of hearing "TGIF".  

Contributor

I know what you mean about family members, Sweetbay magnolia, my sister who hasn't worked weekends since high school's response is usually "be glad you have a job" and I am don't get me wrong,..We can vent together here! Thanks for listening Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Worked many more weekends & late shifts than required the last 20 years. Loved the weekend staff, often per diems who I only saw on weekends. Loved no bosses, less traffic, better parking. Always enjoyed weekdays off. To all of you on this thread who are/were weekend workers: Thank You! For doing a great job, always helping, and having a bit of fun. Peace to all.