Honored Contributor

Re: Those of you in your 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond....

Aging well takes the same village needed to raise a child.

If you don't already -  find activities that please you that also involve other people.  I've found that making new friends becomes more and more important as I age because even if you are healthy, long-time friends may not be or may become so necessary within their own family's concerns that they have little social time left. 

Esteemed Contributor

Stay active, but don't make too many ambitious resolutions. Meaning, women feel they should work out every day. Do what you want, when you want - eat healthy, but not stringently, stay busy with friends, and get a massage every once in a while. 

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@PilatesLover

I have very limited space in my house for any kind of exercise or equipment. Can you recommend a set of resistance bands or something I can easily do at home?

The Marie Osmond body Gym workout....the best for small spaces and it worked for me. 

Honored Contributor

Stay active.... that does not mean you have to run marathons, but... move and work on strength training your upper and lower body.  STAY Physically Strong.

This is a good time to change to a better diet if you eat less than healthy. THINK before just putting food into your body... will this nourish my physical body?

If you are fortunate to be able to retire, enjoy your retirement!  Hopefully you planned for it many years ago and can live comfortably into your later years without worry.   I hear many Seniors think that they can live on Social Security.... good luck with that if that is your plan.....

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@PilatesLover

I have very limited space in my house for any kind of exercise or equipment. Can you recommend a set of resistance bands or something I can easily do at home?

@house_cat  I’m sorry to jump in here...******’s Sporting Good and other exercise stores have them, but I found mine (& they always have them) at TJ Max. Target also sells them.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat   I do have a treadmill that I use for about an hour each day.   I also go on demand a lot as they have free workout programs.   Just about any type you want.    Some with weights, some without.    As someone else mentioned balance is important.   Good luck...

Honored Contributor

@house_cat@I think joining a gym is good because you meet people who are doing positive things for their health.I have made many good friends there who are supportive and fun to be with.I think taking classes with others keeps you enjoying the workouts and motivates you to attend. You get to try all of the pieces of equipment and find what you love and works best.

Honored Contributor

I'm 916 months old ... 

- Don't waste time worrying about things you have no control over.

- Don't sweat the small stuff.

- If you feel like eating ice cream for breakfast ... do it!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

@PilatesLover

@house_cat, you can get a good workout with small hand weights (2 or 3 pounds), a chair, and enough room to walk about four to six steps forward, back and side to side. 

You can start with 16 oz. water bottles, or soup cans, instead of weights. I got my weights from Walmart, these coated ones are good to protect the floors and they feel good in the hands:

Image result for neoprene coated dumbbells

Youtube has lots of free workouts - put "senior workouts" in the search bar and you're all set!

I would put links but I think my post would  get poofed.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat    You can also go to your local hardware store and just buy rubber tubing of different thickness.. very inexpensive and you can have many different lengths  and sizes to add to your workout.  Use them just long or tie them  into a circle.

images (1).jpg