Honored Contributor

Re: Those Over 60: What makes you *feel good* about yourself?

@Solar Is My Namewrote:

Hi, Over-60ites! Dear fellow (gal) babyboomers. We who are over 60 -- and maybe over 65...WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF?

Has this answer changed with the years?

What do you feel is the importance of your life?

What philosophies have you adopted?

Care to share your musings?  I care to read all of them.

Heart Woman Happy

-Solar1 

Spoiler

@Solar Is My Name  On a superficial level, when I was younger, I thought I’d look really old at 69 1/2. Pleasantly surprised. 

I’m happy to have had many careers over the years: elememtary school art teacher, dept. store window designer/mannequin dresser, etc., makeup artist traveling the country working for different lines at large dept. stores, going back to school to learn jewelry making and starting a successful business 20 yrs. ago.

I’m quite proud to be married 49 yrs. in August, raised 2 great adults and rewarded w/ my 2 granddaughters. Because of hard work (husband and me), luck and inheritances, we can live comfortably and help our children when they needed it. 

I’ve always felt the most important thing in life is to able to be content alone. I keep my mind active by reading, continuing to paint, love listening to classical music when not dancing around the house to hip hop and when dh is not home, I still feel I’m worth cooking a proper dinner for  & enjoy all cookbooks....especially Barefoot Contessa and cook a full meal 5 out of 7 nights.

Label me a hesitant adventurer. I’ll try anything once. I’ve kept active since my early childhood gymnastic days & that  allows me the ability to continue running, yoga, weight training...all in moderation. 

IMO, I’ll be fighting back all the way into my 90’s.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus-- love your phrase *hesitant adventurer*! Keep on truckin'!
-Solar1Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Has this answer changed with the years? I can't do some of the things I used to do.  I am smarter, better dressed, and have far better people skills than I had when I was 20 

What do you feel is the importance of your life?  My faith and family.

What philosophies have you adopted? Emulate people I admire, try to be a better and smarter person every day, so something for others when I can, don't be around negative people, try to take care of my and husband's health, eat a sensible and varied diet learn something every day! 

Care to share your musings?  I care to read all of them.  Be respectful of other people and do what I am able to do to help them out.  Be grateful for my blessings, count them every day, and thank God for what he has given me.  Don't think I am special unless I can be special to others.  Have faith.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Solar Is My Namewrote:

@Shanus-- love your phrase *hesitant adventurer*! Keep on truckin'!
-Solar1Smiley Happy

@Solar Is My Name  That was the name of a published short story I wrote “The Hesitant Adventurer”. Describes my “put a toe in first” attitude.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop

@RedTopwrote:

I feel good about myself because I like who I am.   I don’t want to be like anyone else, I don’t compare myself to anyone else, and I am fully content to just be.   My focus every day is to just breathe and let life happen.   I don’t overthink, and I don’t sweat the small stuff.   

@I love this...I want that to be my goal.Thanks for inspiring me.