Honored Contributor

Re: Those Over 60: What makes you *feel good* about yourself?

That I have always been basically a very happy and content person in spite of a not so great family life.  I never wanted great wealth, a fancy house or fame.  I have always lived my life for the present.  I feel good because no matter what stage I was in I always had a positive self image and really always liked myself no matter what.  I feel extra good about myself since a few health issues were resolved last year and could return to my complete regular workouts and once again am very fit.  I don't feel my age but have no problem admitting I am 65.  It's always a good feeling when someone thinks I am younger than my years though.  I am a free spirit who when love wacked me in the face at 31, have happily been with my best friend and boyfriend since then even though I never wanted a serious relationship.  Life's too short to obsess about the past or what is to come in the future!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I agree with every5hing you said.I realize now that happiness and health are more valuable than any treasure.

I wish I knew this when I was young so that I could have spent more time enjoying myself and less time working towards a good retirement.We saved all of our money and spent little on the fun stuff which I somewhat regret.

I feel best when I am at the gym with my friends.I have known those women for a long time and I feel very grateful to have them in my life.

i don’t have family near but I do call them often.I wish I lived close to my son so that I could be helpful when he needs it...hope to move in a couple of years.

Respected Contributor

I feel good about the fact that I volunteer: at my local library and for the OLLI  (Osher Lifelong Learning) organization--I teach literature and grammar classes, and lead a senior citizen choral group that's been performing since 2009 (over 250 hour-long performances thus far). I was happy with my career teaching middle and high school, but had to stop because of a burst brain aneurysm.

And now I have more time to read!

Honored Contributor

Without going into long details what makes me feel good about my self now at age 72 is my husband of 2 1/2 yrs and finding God.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name

About myself?

Yes, it of course has changed over the years. Experiences alone changes along with the added years. With all the cultural changes, how can a person not change?  Who I am is pretty much the same as when I was in my early teens, in relation to my character.

Feel good about the ways I live my life/about never asking myself "why me"? Trying to take the best care possible of my body and my mind. Making the right major choices in my life to best be able to enjoy these later years.

Simple things in life are all I want and/or need to be happy. Wanting to help others whenever I can. Nothing changes who I am inside from events in my life, or those closest to me. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99

Childhood and parents. I, along with 3 older sisters were raised by  our working mother. My life was "normal" from my perspective, of then and now. No abuse/loving mother, showing us by example the best ways to look at, and live life. 

Normal for us was growing up in Public Housing Projects where having a father was rare for all children living there. Never knew or cared what was "normal" for other kids, even schoolmates that had a dad. Yeh, I lived "my normal" childhood, but normal to others not living in Public Housing Projects? Don't/didn't know, nor did we care.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Simple,,I  am blessed. As a child I was picked on,due to my small size. I over came that incident. It made me stronger.While over 6 feet my son's are not perfect,they are the light in my life.They are strong and independent. My dog babies bring me joy. 

This year at 63,I will retire after ,over 33 years. While life is not perfect, last year I lost over 30 lbs by exercising,cutting carbs( under 200 grams) a day. I  weight now 115 lbs from 150 lbs at under  5 feet,this is my idea weight . This was my weight 10 years ago. No fads diets,just eating right. My job was my Focus, not anymore.while I am Focus on my job.it,'s not my life. I am blessed.

Be happy at this 3  stage of life to which retirement enters, don't sweat the small stuff.Life is beautiful, but not perfect but take life a second at a time.Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I have enjoyed this thread and reading all your posts! What a wonderful question!  I really need to think about this question more for myself.  I just wanted to say you are all such great inspiration for me to be better.🙂

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2wrote:

I feel good about the fact that I volunteer: at my local library and for the OLLI  (Osher Lifelong Learning) organization--I teach literature and grammar classes, and lead a senior citizen choral group that's been performing since 2009 (over 250 hour-long performances thus far). I was happy with my career teaching middle and high school, but had to stop because of a burst brain aneurysm.

And now I have more time to read!

Surviving a brain aneurysm is pretty remarkable in itself. Good for you and stay healthy. 

Valued Contributor

@Solar Is My Name

I'll get back to you after I pick up my bushel of meds  Smiley Happy