Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I worked for a huge company for almost 40 years.  There are 8,000 employees just in this location and many thousands more around the world.  And lots of people were dating and married. In all those years, I saw just one relationship cause a problem.  It was quickly handled and that was the end of that issue.  

Any time you have a large business, there will be relationships.  It's just life.

BTW, what does her weight have to do with anything?  That was a fat shaming comment.

I also mentioned her age.  My point was, at my age, I don't have the stamina to be bullied by a 20 something year old woman almost twice my weight ... and she knows it!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I'm reposting this for all you retirees who think you're all set ...

"Re: "huge savings" - That's a relative term.  I know people my age who have saved $500-$800K.  With their pensions, they think that's "huge".  I don't.  Do you know why?  Because you don't know how long you're going to live.  Suppose you're in your late 60's and you live until you're 98?  Depending on where you live, that money will be GONE before you die.

So, people like hkynut --- I hope you have at least $2-3 million stashed away because if you live 30 more years "frugality" won't help you much.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I worked for a huge company for almost 40 years.  There are 8,000 employees just in this location and many thousands more around the world.  And lots of people were dating and married. In all those years, I saw just one relationship cause a problem.  It was quickly handled and that was the end of that issue.  

Any time you have a large business, there will be relationships.  It's just life.

BTW, what does her weight have to do with anything?  That was a fat shaming comment.

I also mentioned her age.  My point was, at my age, I don't have the stamina to be bullied by a 20 something year old woman almost twice my weight ... and she knows it!

No one should be bullied by anyone, although I am not sure that is what is happening here.  The weight and age of either party is irrelevant.  Your continued referrence to it is troubling

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

"Re: "huge savings" - That's a relative term.  I know people my age who have saved $500-$800K.  With their pensions, they think that's "huge".  I don't.  Do you know why?  Because you don't know how long you're going to live.  Suppose you're in your late 60's and you live until you're 98?  Depending on where you live, that money will be GONE before you die.

So, people like hkynut --- I hope you have at least $2-3 million stashed away because if you live 30 more years "frugality" won't help you much.

Honored Contributor

Re: This is messed up!

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

Of course it's relative. (My post,) I was giving examples. Many people who retire early may live until their 90's plus. In 10 -20 years approx. , people won't be saying I am retired, they will be working until they go to another life or get ill.

Esteemed Contributor

No one should be judged for choosing to work past retirement age.My DH is 69 & has no plans to retire . We can more than afford for him to.That’s not the issue.

My DH chooses to work because it keeps his mind sharp. He’s in good health. He has the option to work from home whenever he wants to.He also gets 6 weeks + of time off a year.And yes he enjoys bringing home a paycheck.

Some people work for extra money.Good for them if they’re able to do it. Whatever the reason it’s a personal choice.Life hasn’t been so kind to everyone.We are all in different positions.No one should ever be judged for their choice!!

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

Of course it's relative. (My post,) I was giving examples. Many people who retire early may live until their 90's plus. In 10 -20 years approx. , people won't be saying I am retired, they will be working until they go to another life or get ill.

Bingo!  The sad part is, many people with less than $2 million who retired early (< 60) and think they're "all set", may realize in their 70's, their frugality can't keep up with inflation.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

Bingo!  The sad part is, many people with less than $2 million who retired early (< 60) and think they're "all set", may realize in their 70's, their frugality can't keep up with inflation.

You are prone to exaggeration.  You do not need 2 million to retire.  Most people receive SS and maybe a pension and can do quite well, only dipping into their savings occasionally.

When we retire, it is important to cut down on buying unnecessary things we really don't need. Most people realize this and slow down their spending.  If you continue to spend your money on unnecessary things you will run out. For many people, they need to change their lifestyle.

Some people who are still working and have an really nice income are in debt because they spend too much.  You need to live within your means working or not.

I see no problem with people over the standard retirement age working.  There is no magic age to retire and some people just love their jobs or need the money.

There is a discount grocery store near me that employees mostly senior citizens.  It is a delight to shop there.  Everyone is so friendly and helpful.  It is a win-win situation for the  employees, the employer and the customer.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

So, do you have the stamina to be confronted by an 80 year old who weighs 100 lbs?  

Respected Contributor

I believe the issue of the OP is not retirement age or the need and desire to keep working, but the difficulty the OP has with the authority of those who are above her on the chain of command and their relatively young age. She has assumed that the 2 people above her are dating. I'm not sure how she came to that conclusion unless she found them in a broom closet or something doing something they should not at work. Otherwise it is all speculation and innuendo. Given the negative and derogatory comments about 'Mary", there must  be something else involved on the OP's part. 

Working only 12 hours a week puts the OP at the bottem of the totem pole (so to speak) and IMO she needs to get over herself or find another part time job. She is complaining about her work superiors who are most likely full time and are more valuable to the continued running of this institution.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown