Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I will never understand why someone needs to work at age 70, that alone is problematic. Plan ahead, know and admit when it is time to move on with your life. 

That's easy to say, but planning ahead is not always enough.  Life has a way of throwing unexpected things at people that can cause very carefully-constructed plans to go off-track.  

And not everyone who works at age 70 does it because they have to.  Lots of people enjoy working - They like the  work, or the structure, or the social aspects of it, and I believe the OP said this job is just part-time.  I know people well over age 70 who have continued working and several who retired and then started working again.

I wouldn't judge anyone for working at any age.  They have their reasons, and blame shouldn't enter into it at all.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina

I only have a couple of thoughts.

Workplaces these days have nobody in charge a lot of times.

There is not necessarily someone who will "set things straight."

In educational environments this situation seems to often exist....co-workers dating.  Mainly because there is nobody designated as "in charge" ---- so the workers flail about trying to please.

There is no HR department .... everything is guided by politics and or $.

If someone is enjoying all of this, especially at age 70, more power to them. 

I say there should be more lawsuits on the behalf of workers.

I am sorry you are in this situation. 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

I will never understand why someone needs to work at age 70, that alone is problematic. Plan ahead, know and admit when it is time to move on with your life. 

There are a lot of 70 year old people still working out there.  I say, all the more power to them, they aren't dead yet.  I planned on  working until 75 but sadly a failed back surgery forced me to retire earlier.  Why would still working at age 70 be problematic?  I am asking you that question not to be snarky or nasty, I honestly would like to know.

I'm curious as to what their answers are.  Hkynut and others?  Did you see the link I posted about the YOGA TEACHER?  She's 98.  Why is she still working?  Does she need the extra money -- or does she just like Yoga?  What's wrong with getting paid to do what you like to do?  I teach arts n' crafts to children.  I like working w/ kids and I like arts n' crafts .. and I get paid.  I admit, 12 hrs. isn't a lot, but I get out of the house and enjoy it.

So, Lindsays Grandma, I don't know about the snarkies ... Some people just like to be condescending and nasty.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: This is messed up!

[ Edited ]

@manhattan1950 wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@RinaRina

If you have to work at age 70, it's a shame.  

hckynut

I work 12 hrs. a week.  Is THAT a lot to you?

For me, it's "get out of the house" time -- and extra money.

If you SHOP like I do, you need "extra money".

The older I get, the more things I enjoy ...

In fact, I just joined a Travel Club for seniors.

I guess I'm suffering from "I'd like to do that" syndrome.

I paint, sew, knit, crochet, make rugs, weave plarn mattresses for the homeless,  ...

I have a lot of hobbies .. and the supplies are not free.

I take classes;  they're not free either.

I'm doing a lot of things I've never done before -- because I have the time.

Most of them cost "extra" money.

The only thing I do for free is sleep and walk my dog.

Yeah, it's a shame at my age, I'm still working.

I often think, at some point, I WILL have to control my spending and not work.

If you retired on several million dollars, then good for you.

I lost a lot of my money in the stock market.  So, I do what I have to do.

And I don't cry about.

And I don't feel sorry for myself, so neither should you.

I can't imagine keeping a job working 12 hours a week. NOT worth even getting up for.

Some people need it to put groercies on the table, pay utilities. etc.

48 hours of pay (month) makes a difference too many. Thanks your lucky stars, you don''t have too.

Honored Contributor

Re: This is messed up!

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

There's lots of reasons. Not everyone has the pensions, savings , jobs for 25+ years, spouses (dual incomes), big ss checks,  house paid for...

It's only going to get worse for my generation and after.

@missy1

BIG SS checks? I know many people besides myself and my wife that receive SS checks every month. BIG is a relative word, but for me, in comparison to my blue collar hourly pay back in '91 when I retired? A long, long way from being BIG! Relatively speaking of course.

I wonder why I always hear Social Security is going broke, but never hear the same about Welfare Entitlements running out of money?  Strange, no?

hckynut

Yes, it' s relative. But someone who draws 700 a month verses 2000+ is a big difference.The one who makes 700 will have to work like the OP.  People don't always have huge savings to fall back on for retirement.

There are few who abuse welfare. But for the most they really need it. Do you think they want to be on ebt and get handouts?

Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

Ahem. Seriously. Some of us <<LOVE>> 

to work and will never, ever sit around waiting to die!

How snarky of you, @RetRN.

I don't really need to be working now but 
I choose to because I don't want my brain to turn to mush.

I've paid my dues and I will continue to pay them and that's none of your d*** business, either.

dee

THANK YOU!

I sat home for 3 years ..... realized I needed to get out of the house and DO something!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

That's easy to say, but planning ahead is not always enough.  Life has a way of throwing unexpected things at people that can cause very carefully-constructed plans to go off-track.  

And not everyone who works at age 70 does it because they have to.  Lots of people enjoy working - They like the  work, or the structure, or the social aspects of it, and I believe the OP said this job is just part-time.  I know people well over age 70 who have continued working and several who retired and then started working again.

I wouldn't judge anyone for working at any age.  They have their reasons, and blame shouldn't enter into it at all.

THANK YOU!

I said I work 12 hours a week.  I wear jeans and sneakers to "work".

Some people just like to be condescending and nasty.  SMH.

Honored Contributor

If you text or go to his office/desk a lot, he may just want you to work more independently.  I certainly would.  I was in mangement for 35 years.  There was always one person who asked questions dozens of times (or so it seemed) every day.  They already knew the answer but weren't confident enough.  Their coworkers also knew the answers.  They needed to rely on their knowledge and skills.  We all mess up but I was more concerned when someone couldn't work at least somewhat independently.

Honored Contributor

I worked for a huge company for almost 40 years.  There are 8,000 employees just in this location and many thousands more around the world.  And lots of people were dating and married. In all those years, I saw just one relationship cause a problem.  It was quickly handled and that was the end of that issue.  

Any time you have a large business, there will be relationships.  It's just life.

BTW, what does her weight have to do with anything?  That was a fat shaming comment.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

There's lots of reasons. Not everyone has the pensions, savings , jobs for 25+ years, spouses (dual incomes), big ss checks,  house paid for...

It's only going to get worse for my generation and after.

@missy1

BIG SS checks? I know many people besides myself and my wife that receive SS checks every month. BIG is a relative word, but for me, in comparison to my blue collar hourly pay back in '91 when I retired? A long, long way from being BIG! Relatively speaking of course.

I wonder why I always hear Social Security is going broke, but never hear the same about Welfare Entitlements running out of money?  Strange, no?

hckynut

Yes, it' s relative. But someone who draws 700 a month verses 2000+ is a big difference.The one who makes 700 will have to work like the OP.  People don't always have huge savings to fall back on for retirement.

There are few who abuse welfare. But for the most they really need it. Do you think they want to be on ebt and get handouts?

Re: "huge savings" - That's a relative term.  I know people my age who have saved $500-$800K.  With their pensions, they think that's "huge".  I don't.  Do you know why?  Because you don't know how long you're going to live.  Suppose you're in your late 60's and you live until you're 98?  Depending on where you live, that money will be GONE before you die.