Honored Contributor

We had a leak in the sink in our upstairs bathroom. The repair lady who fixed it was wearing a mask. I talked to her and she mentioned about how it was a sign of respect for her customers and a mandate in our state.

Enough studies have proved that wearing a mask helps. Personally, the ignorance of this fact and the blatant disregard for others by those who won't wear a mask disgusts me. They are not only a danger to myself and my loved ones but to themselves as well.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@ccassaday I would not use the term "mask shaming" to expect a stranger entering your home to wear one.

And to clarify to you....if you wear a mask, you are helping protect OTHERS from anything you are expelling from your mouth and nose.  If THEY wear a mask, they are helping protect YOU from their germs.

@alicedee   Self-protection even a better reason to keep folks w/o a mask out of the house and away from your space....6 feet or more away.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday   If you are personally wearing a mask, the way I've understood it, it's not protecting you from droplets expelled by others NOT wearing a mask. The mask only protects others, not you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ccassaday   If you are personally wearing a mask, the way I've understood it, it's not protecting you from droplets expelled by others NOT wearing a mask. The mask only protects others, not you. 

No one has ever explained why my mask will stop these "droplets" yet yours will not.  Something to think about.....

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@manny2 

You did not directly answer my question. My question is "if you wear a mask along with all others that choose to do so, how are you going to get "invisible droplets" from my choice not to wear a mask, especially if you are social distancing from me"?

You choose to wear a mask I do not. Where I live we still have choice.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut The droplets are so small there is a possibility they could still penetrate the mask, or around it. Why take the chance it is less likely to happen if we all wear the mask, because it shortens the distance your droplets can travel. 

With all due respect I am glad I live in a state that makes the mask mandatory. I don't understand  why such resistance to wear one. It is such a simple thing to do. In fact I think it is wise during the cold and flu season when in common areas. 

Honored Contributor

Re: This is a concern to me

[ Edited ]

@manny2 

You "do not understand the resistance to wear one. It is such a simple thing to do".

I have worn a mask and at that time for me it was simple to put it on, but much harder to breathe during the times they were worn. It was my choice to wear one then. My 2 personal doctors, a Cardiologist and Pulmonologist, advised me, not you, not the others skating, just me to wear it when I ice skated.

It was advice I chose to follow because of my health issues at that time. They also advised me to wear a helmet during that time, which I also chose to follow. Advice, not forced by those running the rink/city/county or state.

For those that have the choice now, maybe the rest of their lives, it is fine with me if they choose to do so. There will always be risks in life, some prefer to avoid many that are optional, I have chosen many that others did/do not. My life, their lives, as long as choice is an option, I will decide what risks I am willing to take.

Appreciate your reply and respect the choices you wish to make when they are options. Your are glad to live where you live, I too am glad you are happy to live there.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  Let's say there are 2 friends.  They both suffer from Nut Spitting Syndrome, a compulsion to spit ground nuts out with great force.  They cannot control their compulsion, but they each decide to wear masks out of respect for the health of their friend.

So one spits.  Most of the large nut pieces are caught by his mask at close quarters.  Some nut dust may break through, though, and travel up to 12 feet.  That nut dust could hit the mask of his pal and some may or may not get through.  In any event, the receiver of the spit has a better chance of not getting major blobs or minor blobs of nut spittle.

Of course, the nuts, big and little, represent the viral loads of Covid.  That is why we all need to wear masks, more for others than for ourselves.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut   We "get" the fact you do not and will not wear a mask.  You do not need to keep telling us over and over again.  

Frequent Contributor

Re: This is a concern to me

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@manny2 

You did not directly answer my question. My question is "if you wear a mask along with all others that choose to do so, how are you going to get "invisible droplets" from my choice not to wear a mask, especially if you are social distancing from me"?

You choose to wear a mask I do not. Where I live we still have choice.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut 

I don't think you are understanding what others have said, so I, as a doctor, will attempt to directly answer your question as you requested. 

If I wear a mask along with all others who choose to do so, I can still get small droplets containing virus from you who are not wearing a mask. A mask does not filter everything, and even if I am social distancing, if you without a mask speak or cough, those virus particles, propelled by your speech or cough velocity, can travel to me and infect me. 

Now, if I am wearing a mask and you are also wearing a mask and you speak or cough, the chance of any virus particles infecting me is much lower. The masks both slow velocity and filter out at least some particles.

I wear a mask to help protect you, not me. Some people don't care enough to help protect me.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hckynut   We "get" the fact you do not and will not wear a mask.  You do not need to keep telling us over and over again.  

@SeaMaiden 

I don't wear a mask? Guessing you pulled only snippets out of a couple of my posts. What I did say about myself and masks I made very clear in several posts. Yet somehow you extract from somewhere I keep saying it over and over?

You missed the posts where I said I do not go out, and have only been out twice. Those were the last 2 visits I made to the hospital. Both my wife and I get monthly B-12 shots, that would be April and May, 2 times. Masks are required, and yes, I wore one.

Since you don't like seeing something you deem, repetitive, I won't repeat the rest of story of our trips to the hospital. This I will repeat since you somehow missed it in my other posts. I have not been out other than the above.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)