Honored Contributor

So many people that come to my home recently to do repair work etc, are not coming wearing a face mask. 

I feel it is out of respect for me... and being a customer ... that you come wearing a mask.  I wear one for THEM.  

We had a fellow out to repair drywall in the garage from a leak we had in the ceiling ... he came out the first time to give us a quote... NO MASK. My husband came out of the house wearing a mask and handed him a mask.... guess he got the idea...  next visit to do the work he was wearing a mask....

I had a fellow come out to quote me for a new gate on my fence a couple of weeks ago.... nice young fellow... NO MASK. As he was leaving, I told him that he needs to wear a mask when  giving people quotes on work to be done. He seemed surprised that I told him that...  like it was a new idea for him....and that he would talk to his boss about getting one....why would his boss not have him wearing a mask when giving quotes and seeing customers face to face??? ESPECIALLY NOW?

Today, two fellows came out to put the gate in...      I step out of the house  with a mask on... they have NO MASKS... at this point I give up... can not keep giving masks away as I do not have a bunch of them.... stood as far as I could from them to discuss what they would be doing.... Seems like a simple thing to just wear a mask when you are talking to the customer... then go ahead and take it off if you wish when working.

Business need to  have employees have masks to wear when talking to the customer OUT OF RESPECT.  

Esteemed Contributor

You are correct in your thinking ....BUT I think you are assuming too much.  Workmen are "working" and mask get in the way - they get hot - interfere with eyesight  (glasses) - and these men are probably not as afraid of the virus as you are.

Perhaps you should delay your repairs until after all this blows over.  Like next year.

Esteemed Contributor

Does your State require masks?  You certainly can request that they be worn, however unless mandated I would not just assume they would have one.  Especially when working outside, I would not expect workmen to be wearing them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I agree with you about the service workers wearing a mask when speaking directly to you.

The men outside working on the gate didn't have to wear masks (except for eachother) according to the guidelines.

Honored Contributor

yes, I guess I am expecting too much at this time... maybe as this virus  continues on for years to come and  to kill more than JUST 100,000 Americans... maybe then others will wear a mask to talk to you.  I do not expect them to wear it when working .... just when talking one on one with me.

Respected Contributor

Talk to them on the phone, there's no need for face to face contact.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Talk to them on the phone, there's no need for face to face contact.

or have them talk to you from ten feet away if six feet isnt far enough.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Why would you expect people working outside replacing a gate or in the garage to wear a mask?  Are you standing on top of them supervising?  Masks are hot, interfere with breathing and are annoying when you are working. 

Respected Contributor

@SugarPuff wrote:

Why would you expect people working outside replacing a gate or in the garage to wear a mask?  Are you standing on top of them supervising?  Masks are hot, interfere with breathing and are annoying when you are working. 

When people have delivered groceries to me sometimes I go out to greet them. I stand very far away from them. I don't care if they wear a mask or don't we're outside. It seems some people have gone beyond fear into paranoia.

Respected Contributor

Money talks.  I will try to deal only with those who show respect.