Valued Contributor

Re: This is a New Trend - I Think

[ Edited ]

Doesn't it seem more honest if they just put one of those penny cups out on the counter and let the customer decide whether or not they would like to leave some change? I think this is a huge scam. I have never noticed. From now on I will be counting my change, and I DO have a loud voice when I get irritated. Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I'm thinking they figure most people would be embarassed to ask for small amounts of change back....like a nickle or dime...fifteen cents....

Valued Contributor

This is the reason that people giving change should count it to the customer from the amount of the bill up to the amount tendered.  It protects both parties.  No one does this anymore.

Restaurants are a major place where credit/debit card numbers are stolen.  Sometimes they even have sophisticated number readers used by all the wait staff.  I always pay cash and include the tip when I give it to the waiter and tell them there is no change needed.  Saves a lot of trouble.

Honored Contributor

Regardless of where I do any of my business, when I hand cash to anyone, I expect the correct amount of change. I don't care if it is 1 penny, it is my money and I will get it back.

Do I care about their "normal" practice? No I do not. What I care is keeping a close eye on every penny I have earned. I don' care about the person trying to pull one over on me, nor for whom it is an inconvenience. They will have to wait. A big deal? To me anyone that thinks I am to old and/or senile to be able to math without some machine in my hand, think again?

No business would get away with this with me. If I want to tip them, that is up to me. I have never been one that has been short on words, regardless of the environment or who is part of it. When I am done wrong by any vendor they will hear my voice, in a very serious voice, for as long as it takes to get the problem corrected. I will also insist on seeing the person in charge.

Why anyone would except $.14 less than they are owed beats me. This not the way I have handled my money since I was 8 years old, and it will not start now.

If some choose to silently let people take advantage of them and their money? Hey, it's their money.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I would not be embarrassed to ask for my correct change.  The person cheating should be the red-faced one.

Respected Contributor

@circles wrote:

I'm thinking they figure most people would be embarassed to ask for small amounts of change back....like a nickle or dime...fifteen cents....

That's what they're counting on.  

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have come across this at several restaurants in IL.  I don't ask for my additional change back, but that amount and more (technically, less) is reflected in the tip I leave. Smiley Happy

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I travel quite a bit, and I go to restaurants both in my area and elsewhere all the time.  That's never happened to me, and I've never heard anyone else talk about it, either.  

It's obviously wrong, but I wouldn't classify it as "a new trend".  

Respected Contributor

@circles wrote:

It wouldn't embarrass me! I'd nicely say, "I think my change should have been $3.24. You only gave me $3.10." After a few times, I think I'd get my proper change!😉 Usually, I give the waitress the amount plus the tip and don't get change back. If you can't do that, when you give her the money, tell her you only need "X" amount of money back. If you don't get that, I'd quietly mention it to the manager, that is stealing! If she steals from customers, she may be stealing from the establishment!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Why would you think it's a trend and why have your kept silent about it?  Granted, it's small change but it's still your money.  It's strange that it has happened to you more than once, perhaps the cashier can't count.  The next time it happens, say something and in case it is a scheme, say "this has happened before".   It won't happen again once they know this customer actually counts her change.