Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of having my front teeth capped.

I had a space and hated it.  My father has a larger one.  I got invasaligns and it corrected it within a few months.

Usually missing teeth in the back of the mouth will cause the space(s) to get larger.  I'm not saying you are missing teeth.  But if you are, or get a tooth pulled in the future, your caps will migrate apart too.  Something to think about.

But weigh the options and see what works for you.  

Honored Contributor

Remember @pegomyheart, a cap is technically a crown to correct a type of problem or hide something unsightly -- they are usually crowns on teeth.

Porcelain veneers are what I think you are referring to, and they are purely cosmetic.  Today, porcelain veneers are very, very common.  But like anything, go to a dentist that actually does cosmetic dentistry.  They should have modern equipment that lets you see what you will look like after the procedure, which usually takes two visits to complete.  You will have plenty of input into the shade and shape you want.  I have never heard anyone say they regretted getting it done.

I had a wide gap.  But since my two front teeth were already as wide as I ever wanted them, I opted for four veneers instead of just two in front, giving me a much better look.  I did not want to look like Bugs Bunny with two very wide teeth!  Smiley Happy They are perfect, and that was nearly 30 years ago!  I cannot imagine how much better the procedures and veneers must be today.

Super Contributor

Yes,  the dentist said he would have to do 4 teeth for them to look balanced.  It will be expensive, and yes, what if I don't like the way they feel or look?  I am still so undecided.  But it's something only I can decide I guess.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine with this same situation just had this done 2 weeks ago.  The gap between her front teeth was quite wide; her teeth no longer looked like they were “front” teeth, which made her very self conscious.   

When I saw her last week, I noticed her new teeth immediately.  I thought the teeth looked good, but my friend thinks they are too big.  She is still adjusting to how they look and feel and thinks the dentist needs to do some fine tuning, but was asked to wait 2 weeks before he makes any changes.   

Personally, I would do whatever I could to stop the shifting,  keep my teeth as they are, even with a gap, before I would file down 4 teeth and cap them.   I only know 2 people who have caps; both are on front teeth, and they are always having problems with the cap coming off, or treating an infection under the cap.  

Honored Contributor

Ask your dentist about bonding.  It's less expensive than caps and virtually painless.

I had my entire front teeth, top and bottom bonded.  Took two visits, and they look fabulous.  Best money I ever spent!

Respected Contributor

If you have healthy teeth do it! You could also go for veneers which is less invasive and is bonded over the gap and your teeth. Caps are more permanent.

Respected Contributor

I had my front teeth bonded 20 years ago and it is still holding.  My sister has veneers and though they look great, 1 "fell off" at a wedding.

Cosmetic dentistry is a thriving business.

Honored Contributor

@pegomyheart  Most of my teeth are crowned.  I went through orthodontics at the age of 21 and if I knew then,  what I know now I would have saved money and went with veneers.  Before you go the crown route, discuss veneers with your dentist.  You would be amazed what they can do with veneers - less damage to your teeth and a bit cheaper.

Its' your $$$, spend it on you and what you want.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I have had a space between my 2 front teeth all my life.  It has always bothered me. Now in the past year the space has gotten wider!  I hate it.  When I was a young teenager I wore braces, and a retainer, but they spread apart again.  This was done by a dentist, not an orthodontist.  But 55 years ago, I don't think orthodontics was very prevalent. 

So I am seriously  considering having them capped to fill that space.   But I am 69. Do you t hink I am foolish?  My daughter thinks I'm nuts to spend the money at this point in my life.  Are you happy to have had yours capped?  Any regrets?

@pegomyheart  Foolish?  No way! You get your teeth fixed and feel good!  You tell your daughter you can’t take the money with you when you die, so you are   spending it  and enjoying it now! 

I was was having a discussion with my husband just today, saying I am going to spend $50,000 to have all my teeth fixed....implants etc.   and He can spend $50,000  on anything he wants.  A gift to each of us.  My teeth are no longer pretty( just getting old) and I want a pretty smile.  

Life is short, eat desert first!👍👍👍🙂

Honored Contributor

If you have the finances, go for it. Our smiles are the one thing people tend to be the most conscious of/selfconscious about, and it does make most people very happy to have their best smile.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all