Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking about a new car...

I would have to travel about an hour away to a large city for service, etc if I don't buy from one of the Big 3....Ford, Chrysler or GM.  

I have done that in the past but not sure I want to do that again....decisions, decisions.

Esteemed Contributor

My sister has a Buick Encore and she loves it.  From a passenger perspective, I think it's a comfy ride.  I've heard her say several times that this is the best car she's ever owned.  I think Buick's leather seats are a higher quality leather than the other cars I've been in with leather seats.  

If gas mileage is an issue, I think the Hyundai has a slight edge.  I think I would be happy with either the Kona or the Encore.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

One choice is Hyundai Kona Sel Plus...I am trying to read my way thru reviews, specs, etc.  The other car I am considering is the Buick Encore.

Anybody have either one of these vehicles and your likes or dislikes, thanks!

@Mom2Dogs  ... I just bought a 2020 Buick Encore on June 30th.  I love it!  It has really nice features and I feel extremely comfortable driving it.   I have always only purchased American cars since I purchased my first car back in 1983 (Buick, Chevy, Saturn).  And frankly, the Encore is the car I like more than any other other vehicle I have ever owned.  

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector   Thanks for the review.  I think on Saturday DH and I are going to a nearby town and look at an Encore.  I like the color they have in stock as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Boehm Collector   Thanks for the review.  I think on Saturday DH and I are going to a nearby town and look at an Encore.  I like the color they have in stock as well. 

Hi @Mom2Dogs ..... mine is silver with black interior.  Be sure to take a test drive before you make any decisions.  

Valued Contributor

If thinking of a smaller SUV you might want to look at the Subaru Crosstrek; now I also recommend Toyota RAV4, I have now owned mine for slightly over 2 years and have close to 30K miles but I do normally but 250+ in a week (when going to office everyday).

Don't normally like to bad mouth brands - but I had a Hyundai Santa Fe for several years but when it hit 200K had to put in a new transmission (at the time this was cheaper than buying a new car); had a friend that had a Tucson that had the transmission go out on her as well - she is now driving a Honda CRV.

Honored Contributor

@debfau wrote:

If thinking of a smaller SUV you might want to look at the Subaru Crosstrek; now I also recommend Toyota RAV4, I have now owned mine for slightly over 2 years and have close to 30K miles but I do normally but 250+ in a week (when going to office everyday).

Don't normally like to bad mouth brands - but I had a Hyundai Santa Fe for several years but when it hit 200K had to put in a new transmission (at the time this was cheaper than buying a new car); had a friend that had a Tucson that had the transmission go out on her as well - she is now driving a Honda CRV.

How many years ago was this?  Hyundai used to be considered a cheaper car but in the last several years the quality has really gone up quite a bit.  

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I would have to travel about an hour away to a large city for service, etc if I don't buy from one of the Big 3....Ford, Chrysler or GM.  

I have done that in the past but not sure I want to do that again....decisions, decisions.

@Mom2Dogs Personally, I would go with GM.  Ford's gem are their trucks.  They last forever.  Their cars haven't had a lot of luck.  I personally was in a new mustang with a friend when they had roll up windows.  His window handle had snapped in half being pot metal!  They have had a long service sheet.  Anyone that has a Ford, very sorry.  Those are my true experiences.

If you can get to Toyota, they are wonderful.  We both drive 4 Runners, or we don't get in here.

Honored Contributor

There are SUV's that I really like but are not part of the Big 3 Automakers....I just don't want to drive over an hour to the dealership....I have done that in the past when I owned a Honda, Volkswagon and a Mazda.  There are advantages to living in a large area.

Curently I have a Ford SUV.

Super Contributor

I bought a Kona Limited in April and really like it!  It is a fun & zippy little car to drive.  Almost all the features you would expect to find in a larger and more expensive car are included here.  The gas mileage is great!

There are a few downsides you might want to consider.  The cargo area is very small. VERY small.  The upside of that is the backseats are easy to lay down, so the cargo area is increased without too much effort! LOL. My sister complains that we are sitting too close when we are going somewhere together.  I don't seem to notice that.

i traded in a 6 cylinder 2008 Ford Escape, so my comments about it being a little small could be due to trading in a larger vehicle.

So far, I would rate the Kona a winner!  

Hope this helps.

Deb