Respected Contributor

Re: Things to Throw Away Now

Great list.

I’d add pens that don’t work, projects laying unfinished for more than a year, broken makeup, old greeting cards that haven’t been read in a year or two,

etc.

Honored Contributor

Bad advice and people who put you down or talk to you as if you are stupid. 

Honored Contributor

Okay......   But who actually hangs on to garbage like that????

Honored Contributor

Mismatched mugs?  I live alone ... why would I need matching mugs?  I'm currently using one from Notra Dame University.  When it breaks, I'll use my St. John's University mug ... and then .... and then .... I'll get some new ones.  I had a nice one from NYState Juror Appreciation Day from jury duty years ago.  But, I dropped it.

I've already cleaned out freezer and cabinet shelves. 

A friend and I were just discussing cleaning out our fridges.  So many little jars of stuff on the back of the shelf. 

These hot sticky days, we stay indoors in our air conditioning and actually do something productive - like cleaning cabinets, closets, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Barb114 wrote:

Clothing that you haven't worn in years.

@Barb114

Nope!  I don't do that.  It goes in the back of the closet and comes out a few years later and it's just the perfect time to wear it.

I wore a shirt* this week (to lunch with friends) that I hadn't worn in about 8 years.  It got rave reviews from them.  It will go back in the closet until a future summer afternoon.

*ETA:  I bought the shirt from QVC in 2003.

Honored Contributor

Coincidentally, I just culled out some old, mis-matched coffee mugs for the thrift store.   I rarely entertain anyone with coffee anymore and I have better use for the space.

Most everything else on the list I discard regularly but not after hanging on to them a bit too long, I'll admit.

In the same vein as cleaning out the freezer, which I've been doing slowly & surely, the pantry gets the same treatment.

I've also accumulated more "linens" than I need.  When I had dogs, I never discarded an old towel or sheet.    I'm working on that purge now.    And before sheet sets came with extra pillowcases, I never discarded a pillow case, when the sheets were worn beyond use.  I've always slept with extra pillows and the extra pillowcases came in handy.

Honored Contributor

I’ve already purged clothing, linens, and the usual items. I saw Nate Berkus on a talk show discussing “chotchkies” and all the junk we keep/display we don’t love just because it fills space or Aunt so & so left it to us and we feel compelled to keep it. 

That’s where I am now. I’m clearing shelves of books I’ve read and don’t plan to re-read, paperbacks, old cds & dvds, any decorative items on counters, tables and shelves that are there to fill the space, but I don’t have an emotional attachment to. There are too many picture frames w/ photos when kids, grandkids were younger....replacing w/ less frames & more current pics...putting others away. 

I’ll feel more relaxed in my home w/ less clutter. 

Honored Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

I get most of these but why on earth mismatched mugs? I buy mine that way. I love the big chunky mugs so I buy one here or there that I like and have them in my cabinet. Do they need a matching mug to make them usable? lol. I guess I'm missing the point in that one.

And for things covered in a layer of dust, I have to dust my house every single day or it has a layer of dust on it. But the rest of those are pretty good.

@Qgirl26  I agree w/ the mug issue. We collect ours from pottery studios in the area or when we travel. No 2 are alike.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found this list online, it was not my own.   Just  thought it was a cool list. I like the  things you all added to it!!

I agree about the mismatched mugs. No reason they have to match!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I purge in spurts.  I will clean out a drawer or two, throw out things after I have mulled over them for half a day wondering if I should toss them.  Once I've forced myself to give them up, I actually worry about what I've tossed for a couple of days, and then it's over.  I am glad to have the extra room and I know I've done the right thing.  It may sound morbid, well, it does sound morbid, but I oftentimes judge keeping something on "Is this something I would take to a nursing home".  When I was younger, I would think, is this something I would want to move when we move. Our thoughts and priorities change as we age, that's for sure. 

It's a process for me, and a slow one, but I do make progress.