Honored Contributor

Re: Things to Throw Away Now

I think singleton mugs are not a problem.

Respected Contributor

I purged paperwork for 4 hours last night!! My mom passed away 2 yrs ago, sorted thru her remaining papers, sorted/straightened MY files. Everything from legal papers to g-kids school mementos, lol.. Today I closed moms bank safe deposit box.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Interesting list and fun to look at.  Here is some of my list of what to do.

My every day mugs don't need to match.   i just don't need that many is all.

I try and sort and organize all the time. Depends on the weather.   I pick something and do it.  Just did my spices and baking items.  Freezer done and stocking for fall and winter.  Specials only.  

I have a place in the garage for Goodwill items and when full away it goes.  Just took a box the other day.

Socks will be done before winter when I get new ones for the season. I hate when they stretch out.   Coats go when church does coat drive.  Same with bedding.  Just got new sets for both beds. Good deals at Cosco recently.   Try and do my closet every season.  Clothes, shoes and purses.  Move out the worn out looking items or no longer my taste sort of thing.  Makes me rethink my shopping too. 

So much a person can do to keep themselves busy and that is for sure.  Older I get the less I really need or want.  Simplify is my new motto.

Move out old books and movies that you know you will never read or watch again.  Recycle magazines.  Take old cook books to office and someone always takes them.  Can do same for books and movies too.

Anything I want to  move out my daughter and her family get first pick and after that anything left goes.

We do what you call the 5 S at work. I apply the same concept at home when organizing a space.  Works great too. Take a before and after pic too and you will love to look at the results.

Respected Contributor

Just a tip for dry cleaning bags. They are great to stuff in your purse to keep it's shape when not in use. Also, when traveling, if you put an outfit inside, roll it up it will not get wrinkled.

Respected Contributor

OK, I get the clothes that no longer fit or look flattering. and the socks must go for sure.

If I got rid of mismatched Mugs I'd be drinking tea from my cupped hands!  same for wine glasses.  I'm not using my finery on the "patio pour". Besides, everyone can keep track of their own glass without those little charm thingys. Some Underware I get rid of when I travel. I don't wear the WORST bottoms but not the nicest either.  wear for a day, toss'em out that night. next pair the same way.  If I'm going someplace dressy I'll dress accordingly but if  I'm spending the day at a theme park comfortable is key. It does make room in the suitcase by travels end.

Esteemed Contributor

Just a reminder that expired medications, including vitamins, need to be discarded properly.  While there is a special drug take back day each spring for that, there are places in many towns that have a collection center.  Please do not wash them down the drain or just toss in the trash.  Some pharmacies take them and many municipal buildings do, also.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

I like to think there are several ways to "throw away" items: 1) recycle glass, plastic, aluminim, paper; 2) donate to Goodwill or your favorite charity; 3) trash that will end up in a landfill. I think most of us think that recycling and donating is better than the landfill if at all possible!

Respected Contributor

Good list but I don't know what the author thinks we can do with wire and plastic hangers.   You can't recycle them or put them in the trash and dry cleaners here no longer take them.   We're actually packing a bunch of them for when we move but I'd rather not do that.   If anyone knows how to get rid of them, please let me know.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal, for the plastic hangers, I'm wondering if Goodwill (or similar place) would take them. They get tons of clothes - they need hangers for the majority of the clothes. I'd probably put them in a box and take them there.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess

Not the recipes!!