Regular Contributor

Things to Do in San Antonio?

Planning a trip to San Antonio in early march.  I have never been there before.  I am going with my cousin who has also never been there. We have four full days to spend there.  What are the must sees?

Respected Contributor

Re: Things to Do in San Antonio?

[ Edited ]
  • The Alamo
  • The River Walk
  • The missions
  • Sea World
  • Six Flags Fiesta Texas

I recommend you stay away from the downtown area as there is a lot of construction going on at the moment. It's going to be lovely in a couple of years but, at the moment, it's a mess and a traffic headache. 

If you have time, the Hill Country to the north of the city is lovely. If the beach is more to your liking, the Gulf coast is only about 3 hours away.

Honored Contributor

I went to S.A. when I was 19. You must visit the Alamo. It was a very moving experience for me.

Regular Contributor

I really enjoy the river walk and all the restaurants and bars where you can just hang and relax. I also enjoy the shopping and the River center. And of course just all the history! Do you know where you’re staying yet?

Respected Contributor

Fort Sam Houston - museum and animal preserve.  We really enjoyed it along with everything else mentioned.

Regular Contributor

yes we are staying at homewood suites San Antonio north.  My husband picked this one as he travels and said it is in a good area.  ITs about 25 miles from downtown but I'm pretty sure closer will be a lot more expensive and also it costs to park at the hotels in town.  I have never been to Texas so I will enjoy the drive anyway. 

Respected Contributor

The Alamo for its history and Riverwalk for fun  of course. Here is DH at Riverwalk when we were there. We passed on the boat ride, but it looked like more fun. Riverwalk.jpg

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

Planning a trip to San Antonio in early march.  I have never been there before.  I am going with my cousin who has also never been there. We have four full days to spend there.  What are the must sees?

@dennylilly  All great suggestions.  It's too bad you cannot change your plans to

Thu, Apr 18, 2019 – Sun, Apr 28, 2019  for:

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@dennylilly , I cannot believe no one mentioned all the wonderful Mexican/Tex-Mex food you can find in San Antonio! It is a really nice place, and March is a good time, it won't be too hot!  I also recommend the Alamo and the River Walk!

Honored Contributor

We lived there, and I would have stayed if I could - but both of our families were on the east coast!

Try to visit La Villita (little village) off the Riverwalk. It has a beautiful little church there and a lot of arts and crafts shops. During the Alamo siege, Santa Anna launched his attack from there. 

Lots of nice places to eat around the Riverwalk. Little Rhein Steak House is one of our favorites - if you don't want Mexican food! You can sit outside overlooking the river - a special place for us!

Another interesting place to eat is the Magic Time Machine. The servers are actors and singers dressed in different costumes, and they "play up" their parts. They have a huge salad bar in an old car in the middle of the room. We spent a lot of time there too, both with friends (for a more adult evening) and with kids (strictly princesses and pirates).

Market Square (or Mexican Marketplace) across from the Riverwalk is a great place too. We would sit at Margaritas drinking wonderful Margaritas and feeding pigeons. A lot of Tejano musical acts sing there in the courtyard. There are a lot of shops with authentic Mexican merchandise.There used to be a department store right on the corner (don't know if it's still there). I bought a lot of nice things there - wraps, belts, etc.

Another fun place is the King William Historic district, originally settled by the Germans. The houses and museums there are really nice. Also, if you're a baker, the Guenther house is a museum about the founder of Pioneer flour. You can tour, shop, and taste! There are other small shops there.

If you want the best shrimp you've ever had,  find a location of a Sea Island Shrimp House (there are many)!

Have fun - it's a wonderful city. But like any major city, for safety, try to stick to the main areas. Smiley Happy