Honored Contributor

Re: Things That "Chip Away" Your Summer?

@chrystaltree wrote:

Then you know how I feel about all this CIJ stuff.  It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.  I understand why retailers do it but I have no idea why shoppers buy into it.  It's not like all that stuff won't be availalbe in 3 months.  Halloween is only three months away, Fall is just two months away so Halloween/Fall stuff in stores now makes some  sense.   

People are busy! Not everyone sits in their 2 bedroom condo basically doing nothing. Not everyone sends their laundry out, has a cleaning lady, and eats meals out or orders in. Many people are very busy living life, retiring early, and having fun. LOL.

Honored Contributor

I used to love my summers when I went away to our family lake house where I was care free and always out with my friends . I have nothing but wonderful happy memories of the summers I spent away which always bring a smile to my face.

Now, I do not feel that way because I cannot tolerate the heat and humidity.  It has been unbearable and I feel I am a prisoner in my house because of it.  I know this isn't healthy weather.  The elderly and those with respiratory ailments are at riisk.  It is suffocating and I long for cool breezes and air that isn't stagnant.  

I hate to wish time away, it goes fast enough, but when we have these horrible heat waves, I look toward cooler weather when I can feel energized and motivated.  High heat and humidiity affects us all, even the animal world suffers,  They say the planet is getting warmer and I truly believe that fact of life.

Respected Contributor

The only time I liked summer was when I was a kid - no school and the swimming pool all day.

Now work in an overly air-conditioned office.  When not working, it is too hot to go outside.  Sun poisoning, bug bites - no thanks.  I could take 3 seasons.  Spring the way it was years ago, (now we go from cold to rainy and windy, then hot.  Fall that lasts for six months, I'll give Spring, Summer and Winter 2 months each.  Winter is good for Christmas and for a little bit of snow.  Short summer, and short spring to get the flowers started - then back to six months of beautiful Fall.  Oh Well, dream on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After our long, dark, and bitter cold winters,  and soggy, wet spring, West Virginians are ready to enjoy the heat of summer!   Our summers are great, but very short, so we have to savor every minute of the bright sun and warm temperatures.    

My teacher daughter goes back to work on August 8th, and students return on the 13th.  Within 2 weeks of school starting, the mornings will be cool enough for sweaters and light jackets, and leaves will start drying and falling.   We are usually fully into Fall long before we reach the date on the calendar.   Heat is on in October, and it is not unusual for us to see snow flurries near Halloween.   And we stay cold thru April.

I love my mountain state, and you couldn’t pay me to leave my home, or this area, so I let nothing chip away at my life here.   I just deal with whatever, and keep on moving forward.

Honored Contributor

Here in upper Michigan we all live for our Summers! And this Summer we are without a boat! We sold our old boat and will be finally picking up our new one this week. I can't wait to get out on our lake!! I love the heat, humidity and everything involved with the Summer months!! You all can have Fall and Winter... yuk!! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

The only time I liked summer was when I was a kid - no school and the swimming pool all day.

Now work in an overly air-conditioned office.  When not working, it is too hot to go outside.  Sun poisoning, bug bites - no thanks.  I could take 3 seasons.  Spring the way it was years ago, (now we go from cold to rainy and windy, then hot.  Fall that lasts for six months, I'll give Spring, Summer and Winter 2 months each.  Winter is good for Christmas and for a little bit of snow.  Short summer, and short spring to get the flowers started - then back to six months of beautiful Fall.  Oh Well, dream on.

@KathyM23  Couldn't agree more. I've long been an advocate of six month falls and all the other seasons being allocated two months each...

Woman LOL

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Nothing chips away at my summer, I like all the seasons. 

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

I like the idea of summer and what it felt like as a child, but not the reality of it now.

I told my husband it might as well be 20 F because at 98 F we are still stuck in the house and I'm still wearing a sweater.

Dreaming of Fall.

I don't remember all the Air Quality issues when I was a kid. Maybe they did exist and they just didn't bother me when we were kids.

I remember very hot summers. July and August were extremely sultry. But, global warming had taken us to new territory.

@FlowerBear wrote:

"Plus we have mostly only 2 seasons now!!"

EXACTLY! 

@AngelPuppy1  wrote:

"Let us enjoy this time of the year!  It is so short and fleeting as it is.  When July comes, I start to get a bit sad because once this happens, it's not long before the season starts to change.  While I do enjoy fall, I don't like to think what happens right after!  As you can tell, not a fan of winter!"

We're twins.  

@ILTH 

Smiley Happy

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

@ECBG 

Interesting post .. UGG is right about Halloween . . huh?  Seems the advertisements arrive earlier each year.  

I also, look forward to summer for the beauty, travelling, flowers, outside dining, stopping at farm stands, etc.  I love to sit out on my glider on the deck having coffee, or with my little girls.

What really chips away for me is the stinkin humidity!  I really lose my energy level.  It also invites the insects more.  I've never been able to take the high heat, humidity.  But, it is what it is & summer will be gone all too quickly.  So, I've made up my mind to appreciate it as best I can.  Woman Wink

Exactly why I moved to Colorado in 1987.  Low humidity, few bugs.

Honored Contributor

I was at Joann Fabrics yesterday and all the autumn and Halloween decorations are out.  Autumn is my favorite season and I look forward to it, but we don't have anything that resembles it in these parts until at least late November or December.  Having said that, I do decorate my front porch for autumn every Labor Day weekend.  It's an old tradition from my earlier life.

~ house cat ~