Esteemed Contributor

Re: They only want to eat Chicken Nuggets and Pizza

My grandchildren are similar.....they would prefer the nuggets or pizza..............one grandson will ONLY eat chicken.................when my kids were young my one daughter went through a couple years where i couldn't get her to eat ANYTHING but nuggets!!  And i prepared every evening a healthy meal  of meat, starch, vegs, etc.....her preference was not due to variety.....she would gag if i tried to have her eat a piece of steak or gosh forbid a piece of pork..............I finally stopped trying and went along with the nuggets...as  she got older she started with a bit more variety.............and by the time she was in her 20's she is one of the healthiest eaters i know..............i think with kids the "chewiness" (?) of so many foods turns them off...nuggets are tasty and mushy for them...easy to eat.............so i would just relax...this will change as they get older......be happy they eat even that............when we were young didn't we ALL want to eat the things that may not have been too healthy??  Don't remember any kids i know saying "no i don't want pizza....just give me some broccoli".................ha.

Trusted Contributor

If it had not been for chicken nuggets and pizza, my daughter would have starved to death.  Now she has a daughter that has inherited her food preferences and stubbornness.

Honored Contributor

A preference for chicken nuggets would never have happened if the mother has been concerned with her child's health and never provided the non-healthy food in the first place.

Lazy parents who don't wish to cook buy overpriced junk food for their children.

Honored Contributor

My feeling, having only furry kids. I was raised by a single mother, along with my 3 older sisters. We were shown "the way" following the examples set by our mother. 

I have no idea about these kids, but somehow or someway, they must be seeing this somewhere but on a tv set or a computer. I am not a fan of "do what I say, not what I do" way of getting a point across to anyone, including some of my doctor friends.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm really somewhere 'in the middle', but I somehow often recall, in all of these many years, several children whose parents were 'healthies', restricting their kids' food preferences, etc., and guess what!  The kids ended up subconsciously significantly 'rebelling' as soon as they became adult children.  Well, you know the result............  But, getting back to this thread:  As long as the grandchildren appear to be healthy, (not sickly, anemic looking), and as long as their blood results are normal, well, maybe all will turn out fine sooner or later.   And, actually, I recall reading (years ago) that some foods such as pizza contain all of the four major food groups.  Dairy, grains, a bit of vegetables, meat toppings, etc.  If mom and grandmom order extra toppings with extra meat, cheese, veggies, etc., I'm thinking that's fairly ok.  After all, they are kids and kids have a lot of energy.  ...... Same with many farmers: lots of foods and lots of hard work (round the clock) equal = long, healthy, productive lives. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

It's really sad and I can only imagine how upsetting it has to be for the grandmother to just have to see this and not be able to do anything about it.

But, that's the reality.   The parent/s created this situation.   Only they/he/she can fix it.

I once knew somebody who pretty much fed her kid nothing but fast food, ever since he was very, very young.  By the time he got old enough to give her major grief she just had to give in every time.   He would scream at her until she took him to the fast food place.

She never even worked and yet was too dam lazy to every have cooked for the kid.  It was just fast food, three meals a day.

When the kid was a teenager, and still on this tear, I told her that he was not going to live long.  She really needed to put her foot down, cook some decent meals (it's not that she didn't know how to cook, either) and get him on a different path.  Actually, I started this recommendation (only since she would complain about it to me over and over) when he was way pre-teen.

She told me that I didn't know what I was talking about, since I didn't have kids.  Uh, ok, but I DO know about common sense and I know a whole he ll of a lot about what NOT to do!   SMH

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

A preference for chicken nuggets would never have happened if the mother has been concerned with her child's health and never provided the non-healthy food in the first place.

Lazy parents who don't wish to cook buy overpriced junk food for their children.

This is simply not true.  I cooked and my daughter cooks for the rest of the family.  Where did my daughter first have chicken nuggets?  They were served in school once a week.  Where did she have pizza?  My husband is 100% Italian .  It was also served in school every Friday. Even our pediatrician said there were things far worse for children than chicken nuggets or cheese pizza.

Some people live with blinders.  I have a friend who said her child never ate any sweets.  I vividly remember my daughter's birthday party at the roller rink.  This little girl ate so much  cake and ice cream she threw up.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of children go through stages of liking only certain foods.  It is not a big deal. I would never make an issue about eating. Offer several foods and let what happens, happen. Enjoy the children when they visit!!

Honored Contributor

I can't go into any detail right here, but, sometimes when kids are deprived at home, they end up going wild at other folks' houses.   And later on in life.  Just sayin'............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Abbey:  'Ten-four'.   (aka: 'I hear you'.)