Respected Contributor

Re: They only want to eat Chicken Nuggets and Pizza

My daughter was a very picky eatter when she was younger too. She wanted a tuna sandwich even for breakfast. Guess it could have been worse. Then I discovered she would try different foods as long as she could dip them in ketchup. Then the issues with getting veggies into her. She would eat raw veggies as long as she could dip them in ranch dressing. They eventually get past this stage when start eatting at a friends house and are expose to many different foods. That's when my daughters food choices changed and would ask me to make or buy food I never expected her to eat.

Kids like to dip their food, I would suggest this to her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now that I'm an adult I can look back and be objective about my mother's parenting.  There were a few things she could have done differently, but when it came to food, I have few complaints.

Her parents were Italian immigrants.  During the Great Depression, her mother died and her father grew fruits and vegetables on a small plot of land in Erie, PA and shared what he had with his neighbors.

My mother, too, was always generous with food.  She waited tables and was brutally honest with her customers about the menu.  That is why hungry diners were willing to wait just so they could be seated in her station.

And, boy, could she cook.  My grandmother died when Mom was eight, so a Tuscan neighbor taught her to cook.  We grew up appreciating food: My mother was adventurous and we tried everything.  She took us to restaurants on her day off and we always had plenty of fruits and vegetables.

My friends and my siblings' friends would come over and see bowls of fruit and were often unable to identify the items in those bowls.  Fruits that were common to us were foreign to them.  My mother was happy to introduce them to new food experiences.

I'll never forget one mother who berated my mother.  She said, after my mother had given this woman’s children fresh fruit to eat: "Don't waste good food on them!"  I'm still shocked.

And blessed that my mother never felt she was wasting "good food" on me and my siblings.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma, just wondering if you moved,i know you were planning on doing so.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This reminds me of my husbands good friends wife, one day through tears,strange, she sniffles out, i dont know what do do with kitty...Ok. Animal lover me Says whats wrong? her tearful reply ,shes 60 ish .not young , kitty will only eat cat treats and no food...

As i tell her through a fake smile, take kittys credit card and  dont give  het the car keys...She looks at mel like  i had 3 eyes, so i gently  explained.. If you only feed her cat food she will eat  that.  Take away which applies here, kids can only  get what parents allow. 

.Parents are in charge , up to them to call the shots..Maryanne

Honored Contributor

My daughter was a picky eater. I fixed food that she liked, and was healthy .She didn't get chicken nuggets or pizza  for every dinner.  There are a lot of healthy foods that can be made. If my child wanted a tuna sandwich for breakfast, I would have made it for them. It's healthy

Some people never grow out of being picky, My bil was one. My mother used to say he was digging his grave with his teeth.  Unfortunately she was right he died at 30.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Nataliesgramma, just wondering if you moved,i know you were planning on doing so.

I thnk you have me mixed up with someone else.....LOL

happy where I live.....Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest

You are thinking of Lindsays Grandma. 

She is the one who moved to Florida with her daughter and granddaughter.

I get posters mixed up all the time. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm a grandmother and I always try to provide at least one item on their plate of their choosing, but the rest of the food is my choosing.    I taught my kids at an early age how to make good food choices.

I am old enough there were very few fast food restaurants so we ate home made daily.    I didn't raise my kids on fast food & they are not raising their kids on fast food.    

Children are not in charge.    Spoiled children turn into spoiled teens then spoiled adults.

Your house, your rules, she should have never disrespected her daughter.   Discussion, yes.  But there was no reason for a 'heated argument'   That grandmother failed in her job, no need to take it out on the daughter.

@Nataliesgramma

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with those who say this is the result of bad parenting. How are these children getting the nutrition they need to grow well & strong ? I would not cook anything special for them and they would eat what I prepare or not al all. My brother had 12 kids - can you imagine if my SIL had to make a special thing for each of them? They ate what they were given! Actually, those kids ate anything that wasn't able to run away from them.

Honestly, I think these kids who do this are controlling and manipulative.This has nothing to do with food and EVERYTHING to do with controling their parents. It would seem to be a good thing to break kids of.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the fact our taste buds change as we age, and have gone thru many food phases myself.   Starting in 10th grade, long before my food allergies were diagnosed, I refused to eat normal breakfast foods.  I only wanted to eat grilled cheese with tomato soup, chicken noodle soup, or a tuna sandwich for breakfast.   Even tho my requests were strange, Mom fixed whatever I asked for because at least I was eating.   

My daughters often ate grilled cheese, chicken noodle soup, or spaghetti o's for breakfast.  My teacher daughter says I got her hooked on chicken livers when she was 4.   The sure fired way to keep her quiet in the grocery store was to buy her chicken livers from the deli.