Esteemed Contributor

Re: They only want to eat Chicken Nuggets and Pizza

Where do children get the idea they can "place an order" at home as though they're in a restaurant, and expect the responsible adult in the home will fill that order without exception?

Oh yes, that idea would come from parents who don't plan and prepare balanced, nutritious meals, and expect them to be eaten.

I mentor a young person with several severe food allergies who eats from a short list of foods by necessity. For her, ffries are an occasional treat, but she wouldn't know a breaded, deep fried chicken nugget if you put one on a plate in front of her

Although variety was limited by allergies, she was raised on nutritious foods that were minimally processed, and never developed a taste for the foods that will clog her arteries or encourage diabetes. 

Child rearing's gone through phases over the generations. New ideas on "feeding" are occasionally introduced.

I first heard of the "self-guided feeding" concept being tried out in the early 1990's. A variety of foods were placed within reach of babies in high chairs. They were allowed to eat what they wanted. Even then, if they were only offered choices of pureed veg, fruit, and lean proteins, their meals couldn't help but be nutritious.

But parents frequently absolved themselves of responsibility and offered choices based on convenience for themselves rather than best nutritional choices for their children. 25 years later, here we are.

Honored Contributor

Our former First Lady ,recognized the problems ,in today's family ,about what went on the table, and did her best to encourage  healthier eating habits.

I don't think many people listened ,unfortunately

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Our former First Lady ,recognized the problems ,in today's family ,about what went on the table, and did her best to encourage  healthier eating habits.

I don't think many people listened ,unfortunately

Isn't that the truth?

Last year a fifth grade student called me over to her table while she was eating lunch at school and said she was served a baked potato and never had one before.  She asked me how to eat it.

I thought she was kidding me. She was serious.

Super Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'In a way' it's better than not eating anything at all.  Some kids just won't eat, and I've seen mothers 'beg' and/or bribe them into eating.  Sure enough, one day when they were in their teens, they joined in with their friends/peers and began to eat normal 'teen' foods.  At that point, at least they began to no longer looked 'starved to de*th'.   As a grandmom with the grandchildren visiting, I'd just add certain side dishes; maybe vegetables or salads with their favorite salad dressing.  ........... It will all 'balance out' sooner or later.  Jmo.  

I agree, it usually will balance out.  My son started out being a good eater but then went through a phase of being very picky, where he would only eat very few things.  And clearly, it wasn't because he wasn't "exposed" to other food because he ate it previously,  Eventually, he out grew his phase and now as an adult he eats just about everything!  It certainly is not worth a fight between mom and grandma IMO.

Honored Contributor

While I come from the generation where you ate what was put in front of you or went without, I was not a stubborn, wilful kid. I learned to eat many things outside the average kid's comfort zone.

In looking at the ages of the kids in question, the 4 and even to some extent the 6 year old should be cut some slack IMO. Those are ages where, with some children, they just don't want to eat...at all. If they're not given something they'll tolerate, they literally won't eat to the point of being malnourished. "If they get hungry enough they'll eat" and "they won't starve" is not true for some stubborn picky eaters. And the parents get blamed for that too.

There are ways to introduce variety into kids' diets, and no question they are much better off with more than three things they'll eat. But at that age, if I was a parent with a non-eater, I'd just be glad they were eating *something.*

Of course, I was also taught from the first times I was invited to a friend's house for dinner that you eat what they serve you without comment, period, or you decline the invitation.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have some finicky ones in my family, too.

I literally stand on my hands to get to eat different (good!) things.

Letting them help in the kitchen has a way to get them to eat. 

Bribery also helps.  (I let a granddaughter name a cat, if she tried a meatball.)  She loves to make and eat meatballs now. 

You can either eat your vegetables raw or cooked, but you're going to eat them if you wanted to play outside.

There were times when food was completely refused, but that doesn't mean I gave up, it just means that I finally found something they would eat in place of it.

I realize parents are busy and it's frustrating to try and get kids to eat a good breakfast lunch and dinner.  But I have the time and patience to figure it out for them.

My kids, as a rule, finished every thing on their plates, but I never gave them something they absolutely despised.

I realize not all parents are like that and that's the case with both my DILs.  At their houses ,they are boss.

They know I'm firm with the kids at my house and that's how they came to eat pretty much all that they do at this point, so know interference.

I don't believe in 'pick your battles' when it comes to eating.  Nutrition is too darn important.

Honored Contributor

Grandmas job is to pamper and spoil.moms job is to teach and discipline.I think I would not say a thing about what the grands are eating...they won't die..they may be less healthy but they will be okay.I think as they get older their taste buds will change and they will be receptive to a more varied diet,I wouldnt want to spoil my special time with the children in a battle over food.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always been a picky eater and remember sitting at the dinner table for hours trying to choke down my dinner.

Our son lived on macaroni and cheese, pizza and Cheerios.  His food palate has expanded but he still eats his 3 favorites.  Two of our Grands are picky eaters too, but their brother and sister are adventurous.  All 4 have been exposed to and served the same foods,  Some like them and some do not.

As long as the children are healthy, you need to pick your battles.

Honored Contributor

As the mother of 3 (now adult daughters) and 7 grandchildren (ages 4-14) i can tell you without a doubt kids go through stages like that.

My one grandson only wanted to eat noodles for about a month.  My daughter would slide in a few other things here and there but it was mostly plain noodles.  He continued to grow and is way above average for his age (he's only 9 years old).  

I won't bore you with some of the other's eating habits.  We traveled a lot with our daughters.  I had one daughter who only wanted to eat Cheerios.  We took those things all over Europe and eventually ran out of the things (thank goodness) then it was PBJ sandwiches (try finding grape jelly in the mom and pop stores in Europe).

These kids are probably going through stages.  Every time we at at a restaurant all mine wanted was chicken fingers (4 and 5 star restaurant and they wanted chicken fingers).  My friend's son wanted lobster and fillet Mignon (same age)....we felt lucky!  Ha!

Don't worry about it.  If you make a really big deal out of it things become a war.  Save it for the really big things.  Doesn't your friend know the big things are coming?  Believe me, they always do...

Slide in a few other things whenever you can, they'll survive...bribe if necessary.  It's not worth the ulcers and frustration battling over this.  Besides when they go to school, I'll bet they eat other things.

Oh!  Incidentally, my three daughters now eat things I wouldn't think of eating.  They've traveled all over the world and we laugh and say, "They eat what doesn't eat them first".  So calm down it will be fine.

Respected Contributor

My DD had 5 little kids including a set of twins, and she was so crazy busy, there were some days that all they ate was cereal and a sandwich. So, when they went through a phase of chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese, I didn't worry about it. Now they are all grade school age and My DD cooks wonderful healthy meals from scratch, and they love her cooking. 

Theyll be ok, kids often go through phases.