Esteemed Contributor

Re: There's A Sucker Born Every Minute

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

All you drama queens spinning a tale of disaster around every corner should be ashamed of yourself for berating a kind person.

I think you are ashamed of yourselves for being so hard hearted.

Thinking it unwise to walk into a complete strangers house along with another complete stranger to help a woman she has been told even the police and EMTs refuse to help is hardly being a drama queen @software. It is neither being hard hearted or anything to be ashamed of to use COMMON SENSE to realize that is not a good idea. There isn't a police officer alive who would think that would be a good idea for a 100lb woman who couldn't really protect herself to walk into the house of a stranger assisted by another stranger. 

Why would I be ashamed of myself for not putting myself in danger? There were other options available to help without putting myself in a dangerous situation. 

I like the OP, she is a sweet person and I have had positive interactions with her but IMO (and the opinion of police) what she did was dangerous. 

I hardly think that there is disaster around every corner and don't live my life at all on edge or waiting for the sky to fall but I do take appropriate precautions to not knowingly put myself in danger when another option could be easily used.

The OP was never in danger, why should you drag your drama into her thread?

She had no way of knowing if she was in danger or not. Any cop would tell you the same thing that is was very unwise to do what she did. There is no drama, only common sense to not put yourself into a position that could be potentially dangerous when there were other ways it could have been handled.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

All you drama queens spinning a tale of disaster around every corner should be ashamed of yourself for berating a kind person.

Thinking it unwise to walk into a complete strangers house along with another complete stranger to help a woman she has been told even the police and EMTs refuse to help is hardly being a drama queen @software. It is neither being hard hearted or anything to be ashamed of to use COMMON SENSE to realize that is not a good idea. There isn't a police officer alive who would think that would be a good idea for a 100lb woman who couldn't really protect herself to walk into the house of a stranger assisted by another stranger. 

Why would I be ashamed of myself for not putting myself in danger? There were other options available to help without putting myself in a dangerous situation. 

I like the OP, she is a sweet person and I have had positive interactions with her but IMO (and the opinion of police) what she did was dangerous. 

I hardly think that there is disaster around every corner and don't live my life at all on edge or waiting for the sky to fall but I do take appropriate precautions to not knowingly put myself in danger when another option could be easily used.

She had no way of knowing if she was in danger or not. Any cop would tell you the same thing that is was very unwise to do what she did. There is no drama, only common sense to not put yourself into a position that could be potentially dangerous when there were other ways it could have been handled.

You are welcome to start a thread about common sense, your post has no value here except  to mock & criticize the OP for her kindness.

Respected Contributor

I never ever was in danger.  I realize each person will look at this situation differently depending on where they live and their comfort level.  It wasn't a matter of being in danger.  I would never have done something like that if I was in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people.  I felt comfortable enough with with circumstances to offer my help. 

I could go over and over with explanations, but that aside, I did what I thought was right and I'm not even angry at her.  It's sad to think her life has come to a point that she needs to stoop to fooling people into helping her get what she needs.  Call me stupid, wrong, foolish, etc.  It is what it is. 

While those are free to give their opinions, some of us should refrain providing such in a forum that's titled "Among Friends" when your response is clearly going to be unfriendly. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did you know this woman personally?

Are you familar with her home?

Did you know if anybody was inside?

No?

Then you put yourself in danger by following a stranger to their home, and then going inside their home, where any number of unpleasent things could have happened to you.

But you won't learn that life lesson until something does happen to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

You are welcome to start a thread about common sense, your post has no value here except  to mock & criticize the OP for her kindness.

I will comment on any thread I see fit and you nor anyone else will ever tell me any different. When someone starts a thread condemning themselves for maybe not making the best decision, any post commenting has value. A poster opens themselves up to comments whether postive or negative, it is surprising you don't know this.  I never mocked nor criticized this poster as a matter of fact I said I liked this poster and had positive interactions with her in the past. Because I disagree with how she handled the situation in no way means I mocked or criticized her, you obviously do not know the difference.

You can be kind and helpful to strangers without putting yourself in a situation where you can be hurt. PERIOD. When law enforcement agrees with that it is obvious that is the best and safest way to go, using common sense.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

I will comment on any thread I see fit and you nor anyone else will ever tell me any different. When someone starts a thread condemning themselves for maybe not making the best decision, any post commenting has value. A poster opens themselves up to comments whether postive or negative, it is surprising you don't know this.  I never mocked nor criticized this poster as a matter of fact I said I liked this poster and had positive interactions with her in the past. Because I disagree with how she handled the situation in no way means I mocked or criticized her, you obviously do not know the difference.

You can be kind and helpful to strangers without putting yourself in a situation where you can be hurt. PERIOD. When law enforcement agrees with that it is obvious that is the best and safest way to go, using common sense.

Ding! Ding Ding! We have a winner! ^^^^^^This^^^^^^^!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@makena wrote:

I never ever was in danger.  I realize each person will look at this situation differently depending on where they live and their comfort level.  It wasn't a matter of being in danger.  I would never have done something like that if I was in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people.  I felt comfortable enough with with circumstances to offer my help. 

I could go over and over with explanations, but that aside, I did what I thought was right and I'm not even angry at her.  It's sad to think her life has come to a point that she needs to stoop to fooling people into helping her get what she needs.  Call me stupid, wrong, foolish, etc.  It is what it is. 

While those are free to give their opinions, some of us should refrain providing such in a forum that's titled "Among Friends" when your response is clearly going to be unfriendly. 

I gave my opinion and it happens to be opinion shared by those who work professionally in a field where they see crimes on a daily basis. I can appreciate that you are a caring person who wants to help people and I do think that is lovely, I would just like to see you (not you in general but anyone) to help in a manner that doesn't put you in any danger. I did disagree with the way you handled it but I wasn't rude to you in expressing my opinion. I have enjoyed previous interactions with you and I always try to frame my posts in a way that even if they may disagree with yours, also are not insulting or demeaning. I would not want that done to me. I also realize that when I start a post, I am going to get lots of opinions, those that agree with me, those that don't and those that may be mixed. I will get the occasional rude reply and I will get honest constructive criticism and I try to shape my replies in the way I would want one. I appreciate very honest replies explaining why they believe I should or shouldn't do something because it gives me insight into other opinions and opens me up to be a little more self aware. If you do not like that I am sorry but I haven't said or done anything to you that was rude, condescending or mean spirited whatsoever.

JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

Just be honest with yourself and say you would never help anyone because you are a coward.   

If she had asked your advice PRIOR to helping someone, then by all means, spew your gloom and doom.    But the deed was done, with no harm done and if you can't say anything positve, say nothing.  Simple

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@software wrote:

Just be honest with yourself and say you would never help anyone because you are a coward.   

If she had asked your advice PRIOR to helping someone, then by all means, spew your gloom and doom.    But the deed was done, with no harm done and if you can't say anything positve, say nothing.  Simple

What she said may have been helpful to others who might be tempted to get themselves in a similar situation to go another way.  While she was never in danger this time, she certainly could have been.  As I said earlier (not in a disparaging way) I would have been scared to death to go into someone's house like that.  I completely understand and appreciate that she was trying to be helpful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@makena, you are anything but a sucker. You are a genuinely, kind caring person, please don't let this change you.  Heart