Honored Contributor

Re: The unusual heat coming to the Pacific NW area OH MY!

@wagirl wrote:

@SeaMaiden ---I am in Woodinville---holy cow!!! can you believe this??? Hottest it got was 103* in 2009---but this is from the bowels of hE!!--- got  portable a/c units for each bedroom and 4 fans for the main small living space in my apt. Have gotten all stocked up with food and drink--and will hibernate for these next few days---have a stripey cat that I need to watch--she is an indoor girl anyway but still wearing that fur coat------Woman Sad

I can't believe how much Woodinville is changing, with all of the new apartments!

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Here in Vancouver we are supposed to hit 112 degrees this weekend. It is definitely unprecedented heat for this area. We rarely even hit 100 during the summer. Our normal summer is 80's and low 90's. We are so glad we got central air a few year ago. Forecast.pngheat.png

I hope you stay cool throughout this freaky heat wave. I have never been to Vancouver, but it is one of the cities I check almost daily on Zillow. I had noticed the lack of central air in many of the homes. Just hoping everyone can stay hydrated and safe.

Honored Contributor

I was just thinking about Chicago and their heat wave several years ago.  The train home -- everyone piled into the air conditioned car so it was no longer air conditioned because there were wall to wall people.  Another problem with too much heat is the electricity can shut down.  I pray we don't get that kind of 3 digit weather again.  You can hardly breathe and I now have COPD so I would definitely have to stay in. I really feel sorry for the people in the northwest that will have to deal with this heat.  You need to plan ahead because you can't cook outside, you don't want your oven on so stir fry is a good choice, sandwiches, cold pasta salad.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Here in Oregon, they say it will be 113 on Sunday.  That means I won't be leaving the house.  If it keeps getting hotter, they're going to have to stop producing pinot noir and start growing zinfindel

Trusted Contributor

@On It  I think the reason a lot of homes don't have AC here is because we just don't get that type of heat.  Our average summer temp is probably mid - upper 80's with some 90's thrown in. A lot of people here can tolerate that without AC but these temps coming up this weekend are unbelievable.  They are opening a ton of cooling stations, and hydrating stations for people, which is good.

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab , my brother is in Kamloops.  40-45 degrees Celsius.  Not a lot of rain.  Terrible.  I heard on the news this morning it was 32 degrees (92F) Celsius at 2 am today.  S

Honored Contributor

I am also here in the PNW.  I do not have AC but have a lot of trees around and I am close to Lake Washington.  It usually does not get as hot here as other places but it is 71 degrees at 3:15 am this morning.  I have been just watching my plants wilt - I am going to have a huge water bill.  Dreading the heat they are predicting for the next few days.  

Trusted Contributor

I am 2 miles east from the WA border so HOT here too.

I am worried about fires too,we have been putting down water all around the outside of our lawn/yard areas too.

There is a fire about 25 miles from us now.

My house burned down in 1993 so we are really wary. 

Esteemed Contributor

People who have dogs in Arizona should use this rule but it applies everywhere.

Use These Simple Tips to Find the Best Time to Walk Fido! 

• The sidewalk on a hot Arizona day can easily reach temperatures upwards of 150+ °F,
  • Dogs, even with their calloused pads, will begin to feel pain at around 120 °F when standing on hot pavement.
  • Burning and tissue damage will begin at 140+ °F after only one minute of contact with the hot surface.
  • Walk your dog in the early morning, as the sun has not had a chance to bake the pavement yet.
  • Take a walk in the early evening after the sun has set. Be cautious though, as residual heat may still be hiding in the pavement.
When in Doubt, Use The “5 Second Rule”  To Test Hot Pavement:
  • Place the back of your palm (its most sensitive area) on the surface you wish to test

• If  you are unable to keep your hand on the cement for 5 seconds or longer, due to pain or discomfort, it is too hot to walk your dog!

Utilizing these simple tips and information can help you and your dog successfully navigate a healthy, happy Summer!
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I am also here in the PNW.  I do not have AC but have a lot of trees around and I am close to Lake Washington.  It usually does not get as hot here as other places but it is 71 degrees at 3:15 am this morning.  I have been just watching my plants wilt - I am going to have a huge water bill.  Dreading the heat they are predicting for the next few days.  

@DiAnne    Yes...  the water bills will be higher... but there is no reason not to water and it will help your plants survive this unusual hot weather... there is no limit put on using water at this time, so water what you see needs it.  I go around with a water meter and poke it  into the ground to see where the dry areas are especially around my trees... that helps me decide where I need to water.  with this 10 day outlook for hot dry weather... it is going to be important to keep an eye on your plants to help  them through this.