Respected Contributor

Re: The two occasions where I think a thank you note is mandatory.

Of course the world is changing but I would like to think modern day parents still teach their children to say thank you.  As adults it is then up to them.

It has been my experience when they are adults not many of them do acknowledge receipt of any gift I have sent. -  they are all nice, polite, teenagers/adults but it just does not cross their minds.    I do not think they are being rude just how it is.   My older friends/family still do say thank you -  so times have changed.  We may not agree but there it is.

Respected Contributor

I don't expect a thank you note for an expression of sympathy. People have their hands full and are grieving. I still get thank you notes from family and friends in my age group; rarely from anyone under 45. This bothered me at one time--I have "let it go."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sooner:

I'm not Victorian and we will agree to disagree. Just following the culture to act "young, hip or whatever" is not how I operate.

Valued Contributor

For weddings, yes, but not for funerals.  People are grieving and have other things on their minds and I understand that.

I actually don't think they are mandatory at all these days, although it is always nice to receive one.  I can't remember that last time I received a thank you note, but I have gotten lovely texts and that is fine for me.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't limit it to just two occasions. We never did it for Christmas, but there are so many times when it is appropriate to send a thank you note.

Respected Contributor

Children should be writing thank you notes for holiday and birthday presents. And, YES, they should write one to every person who attends a b-day party. 

A thank you should be sent for gifts received, a nice gesture, or if a friend/colleague attends an event that you are running (fundraiser, a child's graduation, etc) or to a teacher who has gone the extra mile for your child, for a sports coach, etc....

You can never be too gracious!

Respected Contributor

It absolutely AMAZES me that people don't write them and, don't have their kids write them. I think it's so incredibly rude. Have good manners!

Trusted Contributor

Absolutely, I think a Thank you should be sent for a gift for any occasion. Or even if someone goes above and beyond to do something nice for you. It's a simple thing that means a lot. I taught my kids to do that and they still do now as adults. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@depglass   Funeral flowers???  People send thank you notes?  Must be a culture thing. 

@Mz iMac 

Mid-Atlantic South, Yes.

A friend is generally asked to take the cards from the flowers and write a description on the back as a help in writing thank you notes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@Drythe @Mid-Atlantic north also.  We wouldn't even consider not sending a thank you for funeral flowers.  As a said above, boxes of cards are provided by the undertaker as part of the funeral expenses.