Honored Contributor

The two occasions where I think a thank you note is mandatory.

Wedding presents and funeral flowers.  Yours?  

Respected Contributor

Re: The two occasions where I think a thank you note is mandatory.

Any act of kindness deserves a "thank you". 

Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Wedding presents and funeral flowers.  Yours?  

I think thank you notes are very important.  I've taught (and still teaching) my daughter the same.  If someone takes the time to gift you something, you send a thank you note.  Some of my friends and family and even some of my mothers friends always send something to my daughter for her birthday and Christmas.  She's 15 now and she writes her thank you notes.  I make sure of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every special occasion where a gift is given a "thank you" note is mandatory.  That includes birthdays, anniversaries, wedding/baby showers, etc.  Unless the person is thanked in person, a note is required even if it's just an email.

Super Contributor

I give people a pass for anything related to a funeral.  

Honored Contributor

If it is a gift, is a thank-you note mandatory?  A gift is given without strings.  

By definition, a gift is given without expectations for something in return. 

Honored Contributor

I'm with @ahoymate. I send a thank you note for anything (as she so well put it) any act of kindness.

Honored Contributor

I also give funeral situations a pass.  But beyond that, if I send/give someone a gift, I feel a thank you is appreciated, be it in person, by phone or text or e-mail or snail mail.  Most gifts I give are to those who are out of town, thus, it's the only way I know that they have received my gift.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a stickler when it comes to thank you's for gifts. Depending on the occasion a thank you should be sent by text,email,phone or mail.

In my house that's the rule, to graciously acknowledge all gifts.I'm proud to say my 28 year old son always delivers his thank you's in a timely manner.It's inconsiderate not to.

Honored Contributor

I'm for thank you notes for weddings, showers, special anniversary parties, engagement parties, retirement parties. Anytime it is important that he receiver let the gift giver know the gift was received is a good time, especially if the gift was cash, a check or gift card, that was placed in an envelope. These gifts are easy to lose.

I don't think funerals require a thank you card at all. When the bereaved speaks to the sender, it's a good time to let the sender knows the gift was received, but it's not a necessity. The bereaved have enough to worry about without being expected to write out cards to people.