Respected Contributor

Re: The reason I don't buy much these days

@Georgiagrama wrote:

As you get older, you’ll realize that a $300 watch and a $30 watch both tell the same time. A Michael Kors wallet and a Forever 21 wallet hold the same amount of money. A $100,000 house and a $300,000 home host the same loneliness. A Bentley will also drive you as far as a Ford. True happiness is not found in materialistic things, it comes from the love and laughter found with each other.
Stay humble...the holes dug for us in the ground are all the same size ✌🏻❤️
-Author Unknown

After I retired, this turned out to be so true for me.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me greed is the endless pursuit of money & power, you don't care who you hurt, what lies you tell, what laws you break & you can never amass enough to be satisfied. I don't believe companies that sell high end items or the people who buy expensive things with their money are greedy at all. The lesson I want my grandchildren to learn is to always live within their means, don't judge others who have more or less than they do & they can enjoy having things but things aren't the source of true happiness. An interesting thread OP, I wish your granddaughter all the best.

Respected Contributor

As you get older, you’ll realize that a $300 watch and a $30 watch both tell the same time. A Michael Kors wallet and a Forever 21 wallet hold the same amount of money. A $100,000 house and a $300,000 home host the same loneliness. A Bentley will also drive you as far as a Ford. True happiness is not found in materialistic things, it comes from the love and laughter found with each other.
Stay humble...the holes dug for us in the ground are all the same size ✌🏻❤️
-Author Unknown

This really touched me...thank you for posting it!!  All True!

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51

Thank you.  My granddaughter is the greatest joy in my life. She is a happy, kind hearted, and generous 8 year old.  I want her to be successful, to have the material things that she wants,  but I also hope that she will always keep a perspective on the things/people  that will truly bring her long term happiness.  

Honored Contributor

It's a great philosophy.

Esteemed Contributor

My father's advice before he died.  PUT PEOPLE FIRST NOT THINGS AND YOU WILL HAVE A HAPPY LIFE.  That was soooo long ago since I lost my dad at a young age.  Hopefully I have followed his advice and yes, I am happy.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like the prices or the patterns.

Honored Contributor

I was raised poor.    We didn't have money for name brands or keeping 'up with the Jones'", so to speak.    Things were never important to me.

I do have my buying quirks now.   I am a bit of a handbag and shoe junkie.    It's my pet peeve to see a beautifully dressed/groomed woman schlepping around a ratty bag or shoes.

Raising 2 kids, you somewhat learn to adjust your priorities.

Now that I'm retired, I have little time or inclination to shop.

I'd rather spend my money doing things with my kids and grandkids.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

If you don't respect money and it comes easy to you, it's also easy to part with it.  It's not that I don't buy much it's just that I want the most I can get for my money and if a brand name product is indeed better, then I will buy that. I feel I'm not saving money if I don't use the product or throw the cheaper product in the trash. I would not buy a cheap car or cheap shoes, they won't last.

@blackhole99  ITA. I’d rather purchase a well made leather bag that lasts a lifetime than replace it w/ 10 along the way because I purchased inexpensive ones made of materials that do not hold up. It usually doesn’t matter whose name is on it. 

I don’t skimp on important items like good tires, well made shoes, basic wardrobe items, a great mattress, etc. I’ll save money on other things where the price makes no difference in quality.

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama you are so right. I've seen almost identical decor items at the dollar store and quaint shops. The only difference is the mark up.