Respected Contributor

The reason I don't buy much these days

[ Edited ]

The reason I don't buy much any more or care that much about name brands.  If something is good, if it's three dollars or three hundred dollars, the brand name isn't what is important.  I read this years ago, but I always think of it.  I hope to instill this in my little granddaughter before she is jaded by a greedy world. 

As you get older, you’ll realize that a $300 watch and a $30 watch both tell the same time. A Michael Kors wallet and a Forever 21 wallet hold the same amount of money. A $100,000 house and a $300,000 home host the same loneliness. A Bentley will also drive you as far as a Ford. True happiness is not found in materialistic things, it comes from the love and laughter found with each other.
Stay humble...the holes dug for us in the ground are all the same size ✌🏻❤️
-Author Unknown

Edited to add:  Please know that this was not posted as judgement on how anyone lives or spends their money.  It is the reason that I don't spend money like I did at one time.  Lesson learned for me.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The reason I don't buy much these days

Excellent advice to pass on to your granddaughter. Unfortunately, we don't learn this completely until we've lived a few long years. Thanks for sharing, always a great reminder and lessons learned. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

If you don't respect money and it comes easy to you, it's also easy to part with it.  It's not that I don't buy much it's just that I want the most I can get for my money and if a brand name product is indeed better, then I will buy that. I feel I'm not saving money if I don't use the product or throw the cheaper product in the trash. I would not buy a cheap car or cheap shoes, they won't last.

Honored Contributor

Everyone has to choose their own path. For me, living simply has allowed me to retire earlier than I had planned. Don't get me wrong I still love to shop, but I have discovered time is the most valuable commodity, for me.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I worked and saved until I was 68 so I'd be financially secure. 

So now I can treat myself occasionally.  

Honored Contributor

I don't buy much jewelry anymore.  Mainly because by now I have a lot of jewelry.  I like for everything to match and really enjoy wearing it.  But I don't go a lot of places (out to dinner and lunch, the Drs and that's pretty much it).

Besides my daughters don't wear a lot of jewelry and I've given them the jewelry that means a lot to them that their Dad gave me (some of it they were with him when he bought it).

I still buy quite a few pieces of clothes; but even that, I've stopped buying as much.  I am 71 and I don't know who who'll wear it when I no longer do.

If I'm being honest, I've lost interest in buying a lot.  It was a substitute when my husband died and now it bores me.

I did just today get a survey from QVC.  I haven't opened it yet.  Should be interesting.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Everyone has to choose their own path. For me, living simply has allowed me to retire earlier than I had planned. Don't get me wrong I still love to shop, but I have discovered time is the most valuable commodity, for me.

@QVCkitty1

I couldn't agree more.  Living below our means allowed us to retire at a young age.  Brand names have never meant anything to me but I have thoroughly enjoyed retiring young.  However, I completely understand that different things are important to different people. 

Trusted Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

The reason I don't buy much any more or care that much about name brands.  If something is good, if it's three dollars or three hundred dollars, the brand name isn't what is important.  I read this years ago, but I always think of it.  I hope to instill this in my little granddaughter before she is jaded by a greedy world. 

As you get older, you’ll realize that a $300 watch and a $30 watch both tell the same time. A Michael Kors wallet and a Forever 21 wallet hold the same amount of money. A $100,000 house and a $300,000 home host the same loneliness. A Bentley will also drive you as far as a Ford. True happiness is not found in materialistic things, it comes from the love and laughter found with each other.
Stay humble...the holes dug for us in the ground are all the same size ✌🏻❤️
-Author Unknown

@Georgiagrama

This is so true.  Thanks for posting it.

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1

I couldn't agree more.  Living below our means allowed us to retire at a young age.  Brand names have never meant anything to me but I have thoroughly enjoyed retiring young.  However, I completely understand that different things are important to different people. 

My thoughts too; however I enjoy DB crossbody’s and a satchel. 

Respected Contributor

I have decided to stop buying so much clothing from QVC.  I have a closet full of clothes mostly from QVC, and I stand there looking at all this stuff and wonder what the heck I'm going to wear. Since I have retired I find I just don't need as much stuff  anymore..