Trusted Contributor

Re: The raising and training of race horses

@Kalli wrote:

Not a fan of horse racing. Seldom watch a race live from start to finish. I usually wait until I know there were no accidents and watch the replay.

I know little about the training strategies. I’ve read discussions where those involved in horse racing claim the horses are retired to a great pasture life after their racing years are done and then this is refuted by others who run across some of these animals at slaughter auctions with their lip tattoos forcibly removed so they can’t be identified and traced back to the original owner.

Yes this is a big problem normally at the lower levels. Something a lot of us are trying to change. There are plenty of trainers I would like tossed out of the game permanently. It's an unfortunate situation and like most industries stuff tends to get swept under the rug and hidden. I think social media is beginning to force the issue more though.

On the other hand there are some great people out there doing good work taking care of these horses. Even Zippy Chippy the world's biggest loser race horse is at a retirement home near by here. Enjoying his peppermints and hanging out with his friend. They care for lots of my old favorites.

Trusted Contributor

Piglet's Mom, thank you for an interesting and very informative post.

Trusted Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Citation in 1948 was the last Triple Crown winner until the 1970s.  Then there were three Triple Crown winners: 1973  Secretariat, 1977: Seattle Slew; 1978, Affirmed.  After that it was a long stretch - 37 years - to 2015 and American Pharoah. 

Justify has the heart of a champion. He began life as a feisty colt. He liked to ham it up for attention according to his breeder.  Just to get through that mud at the Derby and fog at the Preakness - and then win The Belmont wire to wire!  Wow what  a race! He is an amazing horse.

Justify has a super impressive pedigree...his family tree includes  Seattle Slew,. Secretariat  and going further back : Native Dancer, Count Fleet, Nijinsky, War Admiral and Man O War.

Most race horse share similar ancestry, But only a few have a special spark that sets

them above the others.

Such a bummer that his sire Scat Daddy passed away so young. He's produced some great horses. And I loved Scat Daddy when he was racing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know the circumstances of Scat Daddy'd death, but would it have been possible to save his sperm?

I ask this because my cat's groomer has a Great Dane (dog) whose sperm she plans to extract and save, depending on whether or not she decides to show him (he's still a puppy right now--a 100+/- lb. "puppy").  I was just wondering if the same saveing-sperm--principle applies to horses.

Honored Contributor

Piglet gave some excellent information.  These horses are very expensive, people most often take care of them, but then some people don't take care of their kids either, so I don't know what to say about that.  

Horses that don't run or don't want to run don't make race horses and are sold for other uses.  If there wasn't racing there would be a lot fewer horses.  Horses pretty much have to have a job to live.  You don't keep them to look at like goldfish.  They are to be worked, ridden, work cattle, hunter jumpers, etc.  

They are costly to keep, so people don't keep horses or cattle very often just for fun.

Horses cannot make it on three legs.  I was sickened when they tried to keep Barbero alive because a bad leg like he had is not something known to be cured and I was terrified he'd suffer, and I believe he did.  And any horse, whether gentle or ridden by a bunch of kids bareback in the pasture can break a leg, develop hoof issues, or otherwise suffer an inury where they have to be put down.  Horses run, horses fall, whether it's a kids pony, a cutting horse, or one running in the pasture. It can happen. 

Anyway, just some random thoughts.  Don't assume everything is cruelty where animals are used for sport.  They probably wouldn't be alive without it and many of them thrive on it and love it.  If they didn't they wouldn't be doing it because there is always one who will take to it.  

Some horses that love to buck would be in the slaughterhouse for sure if it weren't for rodeo. . . so sometimes you have to consider the odds and the options.  

Trusted Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

Citation in 1948 was the last Triple Crown winner until the 1970s.  Then there were three Triple Crown winners: 1973  Secretariat, 1977: Seattle Slew; 1978, Affirmed.  After that it was a long stretch - 37 years - to 2015 and American Pharoah. 

Justify has the heart of a champion. He began life as a feisty colt. He liked to ham it up for attention according to his breeder.  Just to get through that mud at the Derby and fog at the Preakness - and then win The Belmont wire to wire!  Wow what  a race! He is an amazing horse.

Justify has a super impressive pedigree...his family tree includes  Seattle Slew,. Secretariat  and going further back : Native Dancer, Count Fleet, Nijinsky, War Admiral and Man O War.

Most race horse share similar ancestry, But only a few have a special spark that sets

them above the others.

Such a bummer that his sire Scat Daddy passed away so young. He's produced some great horses. And I loved Scat Daddy when he was racing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know the circumstances of Scat Daddy'd death, but would it have been possible to save his sperm?

I ask this because my cat's groomer has a Great Dane (dog) whose sperm she plans to extract and save, depending on whether or not she decides to show him (he's still a puppy right now--a 100+/- lb. "puppy").  I was just wondering if the same saveing-sperm--principle applies to horses.

@FuzzyFace Scat Daddy had a heart attack. So sad for a young guy but I suppose it's like young people who suddenly pass from a heart problem.

No sperm. It's not allowed in Thoroughbred breeding. They have to do the deed! It would be cool though for people that aren't looking to register the horse.

Trusted Contributor

Well I guess the girls need to have some fun Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Piglet gave some excellent information.  These horses are very expensive, people most often take care of them, but then some people don't take care of their kids either, so I don't know what to say about that.  

Horses that don't run or don't want to run don't make race horses and are sold for other uses.  If there wasn't racing there would be a lot fewer horses.  Horses pretty much have to have a job to live.  You don't keep them to look at like goldfish.  They are to be worked, ridden, work cattle, hunter jumpers, etc.  

They are costly to keep, so people don't keep horses or cattle very often just for fun.

Horses cannot make it on three legs.  I was sickened when they tried to keep Barbero alive because a bad leg like he had is not something known to be cured and I was terrified he'd suffer, and I believe he did.  And any horse, whether gentle or ridden by a bunch of kids bareback in the pasture can break a leg, develop hoof issues, or otherwise suffer an inury where they have to be put down.  Horses run, horses fall, whether it's a kids pony, a cutting horse, or one running in the pasture. It can happen. 

Anyway, just some random thoughts.  Don't assume everything is cruelty where animals are used for sport.  They probably wouldn't be alive without it and many of them thrive on it and love it.  If they didn't they wouldn't be doing it because there is always one who will take to it.  

Some horses that love to buck would be in the slaughterhouse for sure if it weren't for rodeo. . . so sometimes you have to consider the odds and the options.  

@Sooner,  It seems Barbaro’s owners wanted to give him a chance to be treated and heal. Understandable.  When my gelding got cancer I opted for surgery at first instead of euthanizing right away. He was only 8 - should’ve had many more years ahead of him. Same doc treated him so I can vouch for his professionalism, knowledge and respectful treatment of the horses in his care.  He’s a dedicated vet who truly cares about the animals he treats whether his patient is/was a pleasure horse or an expensive Kentucky Derby winner. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner,  It seems Barbaro’s owners wanted to give him a chance to be treated and heal. Understandable.  When my gelding got cancer I opted for surgery at first instead of euthanizing right away. He was only 8 - should’ve had many more years ahead of him. Same doc treated him so I can vouch for his professionalism, knowledge and respectful treatment of the horses in his care.  He’s a dedicated vet who truly cares about the animals he treats whether his patient is/was a pleasure horse or an expensive Kentucky Derby winner. 

Yes in Barbaro's case it was the laminitis that got him. I followed that closely and the leg healed well. I know his owners have done a lot to help study that nasty disease.

Nust saw pictures of Barbaro's brother Nicanor playing around at Old Friends.