Respected Contributor

Re: The "Good Wife's Guide" 1955

My mother was a " suburban housewife" and when she just had two children, she said she bathed me and my brother and put us in clean clothes to greet Daddy. I doubt he even noticed. Her friends knew to leave our house before my dad got home or they would get the stinkeye. Not much fun for women in those days. 

Trusted Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I’ve seen & read these before. At one time I thought it was funny. Now I just find it disturbing. My mom did some of these. Glad times have changed. 

Yes, times have changed, all thanks to the brave women (and men) who wrote, gave speeches, marched, lobbyied, and filed lawsuits for women's rights.

Being asked with a snear "Are you a woman's libber?" used to be an insult, a slur.  I would always proudly answer, "YES I AM!".  Alot of women were actually afraid to admit it because of the reaction they'd receive by those who were totally against the women's rights movement.

I lived it.

Honored Contributor

It was never like that in my family growing up in the fifties. Mom was a stay at home mom as she had kids to take of. But they were on equal terms always. The only thing they might have done was have a martini when Dad came home.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

It was never like that in my family growing up in the fifties. Mom was a stay at home mom as she had kids to take of. But they were on equal terms always. The only thing they might have done was have a martini when Dad came home.

My Dad was a very nice man, too, and always treated my mother as an equal.  She was a suburban housewife, also.  She was a little ahead of her time because she had a car at her disposal.  My Dad had one to drive to work, and my mom had one for her use.  Most of the ladies in our middle-class neightborhood did not have daily access to a car, and some didn't even drive.  I don't know how they did it.

Honored Contributor

I, especially love #'s 11 and 14 and 17.......This is just too much! lol!

Honored Contributor

I watched a movie recently called Far From Heaven, it was made maybe 20 years ago, but it takes place in the 50's, and Julianne Moore was the wife and Dennis Quaid the husband, and that is exactly how she acted, the children did too....Reading this reminded me so much of this movie-great movie though! 

Honored Contributor

Uh oh!  My husband would say I'm a good wife.Woman LOL

I didn't read the entire thing, just glanced over quickly.

Can honestly say I would never take any cr@p from him.  

Or a cat or a dog and I'm surprised at those who do!