Trusted Contributor

Re: The "Good Wife's Guide" 1955

This is very much what was expected of women.  Why do you think women rebelled and protested and marched for the "women's liberation movement"?

I recommend reading some issues of "women's magazines" from the 50's and 60's, such as The Ladies Home Journal and Good Housekeeping.  Also read some early issues of Ms. magazine.  I think you'd find it very interesting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue wrote:

This is very much what was expected of women.  Why do you think women rebelled and protested and marched for the "women's liberation movement"?

I recommend reading some issues of "women's magazines" from the 50's and 60's, such as The Ladies Home Journal and Good Housekeeping.  Also read some early issues of Ms. magazine.  I think you'd find it very interesting.

Exactly!!!  It was the attitudes (as shown in the OP) from this era that women rebelled in the later 60s & 70s and marched for women's liberation....all of us of a certain age well remember it!  I think younger generations take it all for granted. Yet even today women are the ones who still do most of the housework.

As for the OP, all of it is too funny today and I find, "Let him talk first-remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.". particularly hilarious!

Trusted Contributor

My Mother is 97 now and was a stay at home mom when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's. This sounds very much like her life, except for removing his shoes.

Honored Contributor

It definitely is authentic!!!  I had a ragged copy of it from a magazine from back then that a coworker brought in and gave me that she happened upon when going through her mother's things.  I also have a 1940's Emily post etiquette book.  Unbelievable ****** that women bought into!!

Honored Contributor

Did you ever notice older cookbooks always had this sort of thing in the front of books from that time period?  To look back through them, cute.

Honored Contributor

I’ve seen & read these before. At one time I thought it was funny. Now I just find it disturbing. My mom did some of these. Glad times have changed. 

Respected Contributor

i remember late afternoons my Mom going around straightening the drapes and LR furniture. She would put a bow in her hair and apply red lipstick,  change her outfit into something coordinated. She put on capri pants and a matching blouse.  She switched off our cartoon shows on the TV set. my sister and i had to put away our toys amd coloring books.

My Dad walked in the door at 5:30, a highball waiting for him and expected dinner on the table at 6:00

In the late 60s, my Mom got a job and her own  checking account and took some college classes..  She and my father had quite a few words about that.  

Honored Contributor

My mom worked but she still did all the chores. After my dad retired he actually started helping out. My mom didn't live too much longer than that so it's good that he learned how to take care of things.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Look up Francine Hughes!

@RoughDraft OH!  my heaven!  I did look up Francine Hughes!  It absolutely gave me chills!  The injustice done to women when there wasn't a good definition of abuse!

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

It definitely is authentic!!!  I had a ragged copy of it from a magazine from back then that a coworker brought in and gave me that she happened upon when going through her mother's things.  I also have a 1940's Emily post etiquette book.  Unbelievable ****** that women bought into!!

I don't think that it was that women "bought" into this, it was more like it was programmed into them and even BEATEN into them.